Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Demonperformer

ZWO EOS adapter (lens release)

In preparation for the 1600, I ordered an EOS adapter from FLO, which duly arrived. Having attached it to one of my canon lenses, there appeared to be no way of removing it [There are no instructions included]! There is a small silver screw on the side, which seemed to do nothing no matter how hard I pressed it, or even completely removed it. After an afternoon of emails back and forth with Steve, he came up with the answer. This screw is pushed away from the lens (acting like a small lever rather than a button) to release the lens.

Great support from FLO, and am posting in case anyone runs into similar problems - even though, the fact that Steve had apparently not encountered this query from customers before, presumably means this will be of benefit only to those as extraordinarily-mechanically-inept as I am!.

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Weird it comes off easily for me without pushing the screw though I did wonder what that was for so thanks for sharing!

That got me getting it out and having another look ....

When I look from the back (camera end) of the lens, with the red marker in the 12-o'clock position, there is, at roughly the 11-o'clock position, a small indent on the outermost ring facing me. It appears to be into this that the small protrusion on the adapter that is manipulated by the screw-lever lodged so requiring the application of that screw-lever to release it.

However, there are actually three ways that a lens can be put onto the adapter (120° apart) because it does not have to line up the electronics with the camera, and when I put the lens on in one of the other two positions, it does indeed come off with no need to apply the button. Whilst holding it firmly at the moment, I wonder if, with wear, these would become relatively 'unstable' positions, liable to slippage, in due course? Don't know ... probably not noticeably in a relatively large number of uses ... but I think I shall choose to use the 'locked' option (now I know how to release it) on a 'belt & braces' philosophy.

Either way, I guess it is good to know of the 1/3 possibility of it going on and being locked in place by chance. The last thing I would want, when tired at the end of the evening, would be to find that the equipment wouldn't come apart as it always had before.

Thanks.

Yes that makes sense because I didn't get a reassuring "click" when the lens went on like you do on the DSLR. I too shall use the screw setting next time. It's lucky I didn't have it that way the first time, never good to be using a hammer and chisel late at night!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Nikolas74
      As I am ready to invest in this new CMOS camera from ZWO the Asi2600mc pro , I am trying to understand why this camera will be better than a DSLR with a filter Infront....
      How this camera will give me better images ?
      I have used DSLR camera some years ago , when I was starting this hobby but after that I have been through mono ccd's , since the time I realized that unfortunately due to lack of time I can not continue with mono imaging and filters....
      So I am thinking to give it a try with a brand new, let's say technology of Color CMOS and see what I can get out of it....
      I see some really nice examples on the net but am I going to achieve them ?
      The Zwo Asi294mc pro widely used around the world is also very promising...Discontinued already as I hear...Amp glow issues....is it really so annoying ?cheaper than the new asi2600 MC pro by half price....
      So can someone persuade me that the Zwo Asi2600mc pro is better than the others ? 🤔
    • By KEJ
      Hi
      Can I please ask, is there anyone out there with the following or a similar setup to this:

William Optics Z61 Scope + WO 61A Flattener + ZWO ASI533MC Pro (or other ZWO Camera) ?  
      Currently,  I have been using the following setup:
      William Optics Z61 Scope + WO 61A Flattener + Nikon DSLR
        However, by the end of the week I am hoping to have this new setup:
      William Optics Z61 Scope + WO 61A Flattener + ZWO ASI533MC Pro
        I was really just wondering how the more experienced out there had configured/connected their equipment together?
      How people connect their ZWO cameras to the flatteners?
      Are the flatteners still required with the smaller sensor cameras ?
      I was just wondering if anyone has any pictures of similar setups to above please (equipment trains)?

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.
    • By johnnyvmass
      Question, is my pier out of level if I'm trying to PA (with asiair pro) and both directions are moving when I adjust the alt bolts? I can't get the mount polar aligned.
      Mount neq6 pro
      Pier mounted on a concrete slab
      OTA c8 with .63 reducer
      Camera asi294mc pro
      Zwo OAG
      Thanks in advance
    • By Eichan
      Hi all,
      I own a NEQ6 mount and EQDirect cable, but the RJ45 version. The NEQ6 uses a DB9 port, so I got an adapter but I need to wire it myself. See attached picture of my adapter + EQDirect. I am quite unsure how to wire my adapter. The first diagram here should tell me how, but I'm still not sure I get it. If I look at the EQDirect adapter (see attached close-up), it looks like on pin 1 & 2, when the diagram says there should be ground there. Also someone in an INDI forum told me I could ignore the 12v pin as it would be supplied by the mount, but the RJ45 actually seems to have something on those pins.
      It's tempting to just look at the wiring of both adapters and trust the colors, but I'm afraid making mistakes here might damage the mount...
      Any ideas?
      Thanks
      EDIT: I own this RJ45 to DB9 adapter. Would any of the proposed wirings in this document work for my need?

• By Padraic M
      How can I set up APT so that it always connects by default to my imaging camera? I have an irritating problem that APT will regularly connect to my guide camera, even though that camera is already connected in Phd2.
      I have created two APT shortcuts on the desktop, one specifying camera 2 (which usually is the guidecam) and the other specifying camera 1 (which is usually the imaging camera), but it looks like cameras 1 and 2 are not absolutely assigned to the ASI1600mm (imaging) and ASI290MC (guiding).
      At APT startup, in the log it will say 'Connected to ASI1600mm' and then imediately say 'sensor size 5.6mmx3.2mm'. Then I know I have a problem as it's obviously not the 1600! I can usually sort it out by disconnecting, Shift-Connecting (to get the camera selection dialog), and selecting cameras 1 and 2 until I get the correct sensor size.
      There must be a better way?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.