Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGLXII Pitch Allocations - 7th September 2016

Grant

32 minutes ago, DRT said:

I already have a 25mm EHU but it doesn't have an RCD. Does anyone know where I can get an RCD unit to attach to the cable I have?

Note to Mods: This discussion about EHUs might be better moved to SGL XII Chit-Chat?

Make sure you pitch you tent close to the supply Derek, 25mm might be a smidge on the short side ;) 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Stu said:

Make sure you pitch you tent close to the supply Derek, 25mm might be a smidge on the short side ;) 

I was planning on pitching the tent on top of the connection box on the fence to avoid the flood when the river breaks its banks in the middle of the night :lol:

I think the flood was coming from everyone's secondary mirrors at SGLX. Brought my night to an early end much to my disappointment. I don't think the river being so close helps but I've made sure I have a heater for this SP. I just hope the skies stay clear as the good weather seems to be favouring the week day more so than the weekends.

1 hour ago, DRT said:

I was planning on pitching the tent on top of the connection box on the fence to avoid the flood when the river breaks its banks in the middle of the night :lol:

35 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

I think the flood was coming from everyone's secondary mirrors at SGLX. Brought my night to an early end much to my disappointment. I don't think the river being so close helps but I've made sure I have a heater for this SP. I just hope the skies stay clear as the good weather seems to be favouring the week day more so than the weekends.

I can give you updates if you wish to the current weather, river status.?

Weather been great here today, lots of sun and river level is fine and no flooding presently. Sky is presently full of clouds and not point in even trying to get the scope set up presently?

Hopefully things will improve nearer the event and I will keep you posted if I think you need to bring your inflatable boats with you ? 

3 hours ago, DRT said:

I already have a 25mm EHU but it doesn't have an RCD. Does anyone know where I can get an RCD unit to attach to the cable I have?

Note to Mods: This discussion about EHUs might be better moved to SGL XII Chit-Chat?

I just had a quick look and can't see anything online.

All the ones that I saw have an extension cable attached already.  This makes perfect sense to me as you'd be more likely to damage the cable and have to replace that, then to damage the socket strip and rcd.

If you look hard enough, the internet tends to have everything.  But for the money, might be better easier to simply get a complete unit, then use your existing cable as an extension for those times when you need it.

8 hours ago, cjdawson said:

I just had a quick look and can't see anything online.

All the ones that I saw have an extension cable attached already.  This makes perfect sense to me as you'd be more likely to damage the cable and have to replace that, then to damage the socket strip and rcd.

If you look hard enough, the internet tends to have everything.  But for the money, might be better easier to simply get a complete unit, then use your existing cable as an extension for those times when you need it.

I arrived at the same conclusion but thought I'd check in case I had missed something.

Cheers

I've just booked Friday to Tuesday morning but we may extend if skies are good. Requested Kingfisher 7 or 15 as we have a Hobby motorhome. 

I'm surprised you're not fully booked, I missed the posts about the extra party. It'll be good to meet people.

Anne

I can picture it now. The waters are rising. Star Partiers heading for the high ground, each with their scope clutched to their chest as they run for safety. Derek is knee deep in the fast rising waters still trying to decide which scope to save!!

How many this year Derek?

Paul 

13 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

I can picture it now. The waters are rising. Star Partiers heading for the high ground, each with their scope clutched to their chest as they run for safety. Derek is knee deep in the fast rising waters still trying to decide which scope to save!!

How many this year Derek?

Paul 

Definitely fewer than last year, Paul.

My plan is that we put all of my scopes inside your 16" Dob and we use it as a life raft to row to the cafe :wink:

22 hours ago, DRT said:

I had a lead without RCD so I purchased an inline RCD from Maplins. If you are confident at wiring it is easy to splice onto the lead, otherwise you could get someone else to do it as a quick favour.

9 hours ago, spaceboy said:

I use a regular 16a feed cable to a water proof box http://www.screwfix.com/p/weatherproof-box-kit/46169 then plug the RCD and 4 way socket in to that. Granted if the supply cable gets cut in anyway the RCD is of no use but if I remember correctly (been a while so might be wrong) the power supply points were protected by RCD's anyway??

Mmm..., I hear what you are saying but on some less scrupulous sites the RCDs within the distribution boxes are not very well maintained and I would not like to rely on them to protect me or my equipment.

I am not making any accusations against Lucksall campsite I am sure they are a very well run site, other sites may not achieve the same standards.

9 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Mmm..., I hear what you are saying but on some less scrupulous sites the RCDs within the distribution boxes are not very well maintained and I would not like to rely on them to protect me or my equipment.

I am not making any accusations against Lucksall campsite I am sure they are a very well run site, other sites may not achieve the same standards.

Or if you take on a rather less cinical point of view.....

Having every protection measure at every place that you can put them increases the likely hood of one of the protection measures kicking in if something happens.   More safety devices means more chance of being saved.

With that logic, for me it simply does not make sense to run a 16A cable from a box out of your control to a 4-gang (or whatever) without adding an RCD into the circuit at your end of the cable.  This way, you can say, at the far end if "foreign circuit" which "should" have safety devices - but you cannot guarentee they are working, it's on trust.    However, at your end of the cable there is an RCD, which you own.  You can test it, so you should be confident that it does work.  Therefore everything on your side of the power cable, is protected and in good working order.  You control everything about that part.   For the sake of £20-40 I wouldn't waste my time trying to cut corners.  If I can't find the RCD 4-gang without cable, get one with, and keep the existing cable as spare.

Archived