Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Plagiarism - sincerest form of flattery!

Following on from this thread Michael started....

....in a blatant act of plagiarism, I purchased the same dual mount adaptor and additional TS Vixen clamp for my Giro-WR. To fit the adaptor properly, I needed to add 4 spacers made from a plastic milk bottle, and it now works very well. In addition, whilst playing around with the various pieces, I replaced the lightweight shaft in the Giro-WR with a 13cm Stainless Counterweight shaft. This adds a little weight, but the result feels much better; smoother motion and I'm sure it will cope with heavier weight. I can swap back at any time so no permanent alteration has been done. 

I also found that I could arrange it so I can add a counterweight shaft extension plus weight without removing the clamp, making the whole thing much more flexible for single and dual scope use. Very pleased, and grateful to @michael.h.f.wilkinson for the idea :)

Note to self, must get a smarter looking CW, or paint this one!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

Very pleased, and grateful to @michael.h.f.wilkinson for the idea :)

Note to self, must get a smarter looking CW, or paint this one!

Thanks for the interesting report / read,  au contrair, as Del would have said, it looks well used, loved even ! All you have to do now is beat-up on the rest to make it look similar :angel4:

tmp_21381-DSC_00731679468479.JPG

Alternately, there's the counterweight bar on a dovetail. I was thinking about painting the CW as well, but now it brings out the white details on the ED120 so I may not bother.

:happy11:

Still need to paint the wooden thingy...

Edited by iPeace
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Anthony RS
      Hello,
      Is anyone here using the TS Photon 6" F4 newtonian? I'm about to purchase it but I have some doubts and questions:
      1- Does it hold collimation well, at least in a single session?
      2- Is it impossible to balance in DEC due to its small dovetail or is it possible but harder?
      3- Is the focuser rigid enough or does it introduce tilt?
      4- Will collimating it be a nightmare?
      5- I'm really picky when it comes to coma, should I expect some coma on edges even while using the Skywatcher Aplanatic F4 CC?
      6- All in all, do you advice me to buy it or have some other option in the same price range.
      Cheers!
      Anthony
    • By maxchess
      I am trying to plan out my longer term equipment strategy, rather than go for impulse purchases and would like some advice on dual mounting scopes.

At present I have a roll-off shed with steel pier in concrete block. The mount is an HEQ5-Pro, stellar tuned and belt driven which is supposed to have an astrophotography payload of around 11Kg.  My main camera is an ASI294MC. Guide camera Lodestar x2. 
      I switch between two scope set ups.  (Weight for both includes cameras and filter draw.)
      •    ES102 with 50mm guide scope, FL=714, weight is 7.5 Kg
      •    C8 (not edge) with 6.3  FR and OAG, FL = 1260,  Weight is 8kg
      So clearly I cannot mount both on my HEQ5 Pro.
      One of the reasons for going with a fixed pier in a shed is that once set up and aligned, I can just push back the roof, align, focus and get imaging in 5 mins.  However as targets change I need to swap scopes, rebalance, rewire etc. Not a massive effort but I am wondering if I could dual these scopes and perhaps eventually add something like a WO GT71 FL= 420, weight 2.93  for the wide stuff.  So total weight around 19kg.  Then maybe in the future go for a Mono camera and filter wheel and even perhaps an C9.25 Edge pushing the weight to around 23kg. 
      To do this I would plan to buy a CEM 60    mount that claims a payload of 27.2 kg, although it is not clear if this is imaging, although I can’t see why anyone would buy one just for visual. I would then just guide with the OAG.
      So I have two questions:
      Is this a realistic strategy or would I loose guiding accuracy by loading the mount in this way. Perhaps even compared to keeping the HEQ5-Pro and swapping when necessary.  Or maybe just forget the GT71 and C9.25
      If I do go down this route, what is the best way of dual or triple mounting? I have read that mounting two dissimilar scopes side by side risks unbalancing the setup, but also that mounting the ES102 on ADM rings risks flexure.
      Any other advice or observations most welcome.
      Thanks
      Max

• By Sky-searcher
      Before I purchase one, I’m wondering if anyone has a 50 or 60 mm RACI with illuminated eyepiece they would like to sell? Thanks Andy.
    • By 25585
      How does the TS Optics ep compare with Vixen LVW 22mm? Former plentiful, latter hens teeth. TS has AFOV 70 deg and 20mm eye relief, also ED.
      I like it's camera body connection possibility with a HypT2 connector (removable eye cup), but use would be visual mainly.

• By Stu
      Following on from my lunar shots just using  just the x30 zoom on my Panasonic camera, I thought I ought to try it on a scope! These were very quickly taken in about 15 mins using my Vixen f9 Fluorite on the Giro-WR mount. It was all a little random in terms of targeting, will be much better when I pop the same combination onto the Vixen GP.
      Focusing leaves a fair amount to be desired, I need to play around with different methods when I have more time, and using the 10 second timer made it hard to just when targets were going to be in view.
      Anyway, I think these might be better if I try with the 40mm TMB Paragon eyepiece, but that involves using a 2" diagonal which I could not be bothered to do at the time!
      So, much room for improvement, particularly on focus, although there is a pleasing lack of CA in the images.
      No comments about orientation please 
      Stu

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.