Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap binos

popeye85

I have a 6"reflector but I feel that I am missing it on things by not having a set of Bibi's as well, not only for targets which require a large FOV but also for learning my way around the sky. I am however reluctant ( read unable to gain permission from the wife!) To spend a small fortune on a set. I am restricted to about £50 and looking at a set of 10x50. Getting second hand if no issue. Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks.

Hi.

I've not tried these GSO bibi's myself:

https://www.astromarket.org/verrekijkers-5/other-brands-5/delta-optical-entry-10x50---bk4-5

but all the GSO gear I've bought, diagonals, eyepieces, dobsonian, is great. I think they are the least expensive 10x50's with BaK-4 glass, waterproofing and wide 6.5° field from a reputable maker. And you don't pay the VAT if you are self-employed, at least for continental europeans; could be the same for the british, ask them.

12 hours ago, popeye85 said:

................. targets which require a large FOV but also for learning my way around the sky.

For this reason alone, I opted for 8x40s',  and bought some  Helios Naturesport-Plus 8x40 WA Binoculars. Their easier to hold than a 10x binocular and have +8° field of view, and within your price bracket if you can get free delivery!
There is a 10x50 version, but dearer with a narrower field of view.
10x50's ( whichever brand ) may offer better contrast between the sky background, if your eyes can detect this, but I would try some 10x50s against something lower powered, to see/feel  the difference's?

I'll be happy to 2nd. the Celestron's cited by DemosL - above. Not sure of who sells these in your area, but I'm sure you'll be able to find them. I was shocked by the low price, and would have gladly paid more for them. Here's a link over here:

http://agenaastro.com/celestron-skymaster-15x70-binocular-71009.html

Have fun -

Dave

18 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Your budget will need a tripod as well I think if you go bigger and heavier like the Skymaster.

I went for 8*42 very good wide fov and great for day time use as well as night. Enjoyed tracking comet lovejoy using them.

I don't use any tripod with my 15 x 70 bins. My body is kept fairly steady with a zero gravity chair.

Archived