Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Astrophotography Scrapbook Vol. 1

image.jpeg    Cover Page                          

image.jpeg    Lagoon Nebula in Sagittarius ( Messier 8, NGC 6523 )  

image.jpeg    The Fighting Dragons of Ara ( NGC 6188 )   

image.jpeg    War and Peace in Scorpius ( NGC 6357 )   

image.jpeg    Spiral Galaxy NGC 6744 in Pavo   

image.jpeg    Ptolemy's Cluster in Scorpius ( Messier 7, NGC 6475 )   

image.jpeg    A Million Stars in the Deep South ( NGC 104, 47 Tucanae )  

image.jpeg    A Wishing Well in Carina ( NGC 3532 ) 

image.jpeg    A Beehive in the Southern Sky ( NGC 2516 )

image.jpeg    The Sliver Coin in Sculptor ( NGC 253 ) 

IMG_0479.JPG   The Great Nebula in Orion ( Messier 42, NGC 1976 ) 

IMG_0482.JPG   A Cluster of Pearls in Centaurus ( NGC 3766 )  new 5 Dec

resources:   

image.jpeg    Scrapbook Template

-------------------------------------

When I show my astrophotography images to my friends and family they invariably want to know what they are looking at.  This led me to wonder if there was a way I could display my images on a single page together with a few notes on the target object as well as few technical details of the capture for those who might be interested. What I came up with a "scrapbook" like page that combines all of these three elements in a single PDF sheet ( or jpeg image) that ultimately I might combine together to form a PDF book that I can share online or send to friends and family. In the meantime, I thought I might post in this thread each page of my work-in-progress towards volume 1 of my Astrophotography Scrapbook.

Any and all comments, observations, suggestions and constructive criticisms will be warmly received.

Cheers

Mike

ps. The pages have been sized to fit full screen on an IPAD

Edited by mike005
Added: Pearl Cluster
  • Like 3

image.jpeg

PDF

Lagoon Nebula in Sagittarius ( Messier 8, NGC 6523 )

Edited by mike005
  • Like 2

That looks like a very good idea [i.e. the idea is worth 'pinching'!] - and I like the layout.

Edited by Demonperformer

38 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

That looks like a very good idea [i.e. the idea is worth 'pinching'!] - and I like the layout.

Thanks.

image.jpeg

PDF

The Fighting Dragons of Ara ( NGC 6188, NGC 6193 )

Edited by mike005

1 minute ago, Tiny Small said:

This is a very good idea indeed. I like the technical card inclusion too.

Cheers

This is a great idea - I have often wondered how well the presentations used for modern wedding photographs would work out as these can be generated on line and are very well priced. I like your presentation with the 'notebook' sheet torn off - well done!

Agreed! Great idea and very nicely presented. I'm afraid I don't have any bright ideas or further input because I like it as it is :) 

1 hour ago, steppenwolf said:

This is a great idea - I have often wondered how well the presentations used for modern wedding photographs would work out as these can be generated on line and are very well priced. I like your presentation with the 'notebook' sheet torn off - well done!

52 minutes ago, Stu said:

Agreed! Great idea and very nicely presented. I'm afraid I don't have any bright ideas or further input because I like it as it is :) 

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Not only do i like the idea and layout but "Fighting Dragons of Ara"? never seen it before but just love the name, who wouldnt instantly love the Fighting Dragons of Ara?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, symesie04 said:

Not only do i like the idea and layout but "Fighting Dragons of Ara"? never seen it before but just love the name, who wouldnt instantly love the Fighting Dragons of Ara?

Thanks and yes it is a great name - even better than "Fighting Dragons Nebula".  I only wish I had come up with it :)

Hey, maybe I could ....  for my next pages perhaps I should see if I can come up with inventive variations on common names. The "Lagoon Nebula" could have been "Sagittarius' Lagoon" or a perhaps a little cryptic with "The Archer's Oasis" 

On second thoughts, I could never top the "Fighting Dragons of Ara" so maybe I shouldn't try :)

Edited by mike005
  • Like 1

Love the idea. Might very well swipe it as it's a brilliant way to keep a record of the images you've taken over the months and years. Thanks very much for sharing!

2 hours ago, RSM said:

Love the idea. Might very well swipe it as it's a brilliant way to keep a record of the images you've taken over the months and years. Thanks very much for sharing!

Thanks Richard.

image.jpeg

PDF

War and Peace in Scorpius ( NGC 6357 )

Edited by mike005

Scrapbook template

Creating a scrapbook page is fairly straight forward and there are a great many online resources and applications that will make the task fairly easy ( just search for scrapbook resources ).  Anyway, just in case someone wanted to use mine as a starting point I have posted the template below:

Scrapbook Template.jpg

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

Great idea. And very well executed!

Thanks Wim, much appreciated.

Excellent idea and execution Mike.  I had been looking at similar but mostly found 'letter' sized paper, not good for U.K.  Yours looks professional!

the other thing I have just started is to make an A3 poster, divided out into 110 squares (10x11), and to print and paste my photos of the Messier objects onto it as I take them.  I'm going to the Astrocamp star party next week in Cymdu, Wales, so hope to be able to fill a few squares after that ?

Mikes Messier Observation Chart.docx

13 minutes ago, mikeyj1 said:

Excellent idea and execution Mike.  I had been looking at similar but mostly found 'letter' sized paper, not good for U.K.  Yours looks professional!

the other thing I have just started is to make an A3 poster, divided out into 110 squares (10x11), and to print and paste my photos of the Messier objects onto it as I take them.  I'm going to the Astrocamp star party next week in Cymdu, Wales, so hope to be able to fill a few squares after that ?

Mikes Messier Observation Chart.docx

Thanks Mike.

I'm looking forward to seeing your poster - I will have to try your link from a PC when I get a chance, it does not work from this IPAD.

Cheers

Mike

image.jpeg

PDF

Ptolemy's Cluster in Scorpius ( Messier 7, NGC 6475 )

Edited by mike005
Error in scrapbook page