Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pickering's Triangle - Additional 3 hours 20 mins

gnomus

Using Channel Combination (just as you do for RGB).  Leave it in RGB combination.  Put Ha in for Red, OIII in for Green and Blue - click the circle.  I do this before stretching (whilst still linear), which is what I do for 'normal' RGB combinations and so I assume is correct.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I don't do 'NB only' images but do combine Ha and OIII with RGB ad LRGB. A system I use might be of interest, though. It's all to do with how much of which filter to map to which channel. In Ps you can build up a system of layers, a stack of different mappings using layers, and then vary the opacity of each to see, in real time, the effects of the blends. So you might, for instance, in the 'RGB' channels stack something like:

Ha, (blend mode luminance)

Ha OIII OIII (blend mode normal)

Ha OIII Ha (justifiable on the grounds that H beta, which is blue, traces the same gasses as Ha.) Blend mode normal.

The opacity slider would then give you a real time blend.

If you NB types are already dong this then I'll slink away with apologies...

Olly

Olly.  If I got some RGB of Pickering could I combine this using your method with my NB data, and would it look similar to my HOO only image, but with 'proper' star colour?

9 hours ago, gnomus said:

Olly.  If I got some RGB of Pickering could I combine this using your method with my NB data, and would it look similar to my HOO only image, but with 'proper' star colour?

You could, and it would be similar. It should work well. In fact there is strong blue signal which may be reflection rather than simply OIII and H beta (which a blue filter will pass) so you might have RGB, particularly B, adding to the nebulosity as well as the stars. The nice trick we worked out with the Seagull was making the three layer stack

G-OIII B

RG B-OIII 

Ha-R GB

...so as to be able to weight the OIII balance between green and blue.

Ha as luminance needs to be handled with great care and applied sparingly over RGB. It risks diluting the red colour, subduing the green and blue and giving blue star halo artefacts.

Olly

That is odd.  Have you star aligned and dynamic cropped them?  (You know you can apply the same dynamic crop to aligned images, don't you?).  If you want to Dropbox them I can have a go later if you like.

Archived