SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1.25 ep`s and ED80 question

nightfisher

So i have ordered n ED80, i went for the stripped down one as i have a lovely 2" dialectric diagonal and a spare 9x50 finder, 

so will i be able to reach focus using 2" diagonal with 1.25 ep`s ?

Im asking in case i need to look for a decent 1.25 diagonal

9 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Knowing the blumming weather up here it will be weeks before i get first light

Yes, there is that, of course...   :rolleyes2:

Still, I can't imagine a 2" diagonal being categorically too short or too long for all 1.25" eyepieces. You will use an adapter, of course, which makes it slightly longer, but even then...

I'd just wait for it, myself.

I'm sure you will love the scope.

:happy11:

Its the inward focus i am concerned about, but if its a problem i will just have to try my Circle T 1.25 prism diagonal till i know what im doing, still hoping the 2" works and it has a low profile 1.25 adaptor

8 minutes ago, iPeace said:

If you have tried with the ST80 what you'd like to do with the ED80, and it works, I would have full confidence.

The st80 is a TS 80 and does not have a 2" focuser, so i dont know if this works but like i say i have the 1.25 prism

2 hours ago, nightfisher said:

The st80 is a TS 80 and does not have a 2" focuser, so i dont know if this works but like i say i have the 1.25 prism

Ah, there's my mistake! I understand so much better now. And as you say, should you get caught in a first-night-first-light situation with the 2" diagonal, the 1.25" prism will serve.

Please excuse my false presumption, must have incorrectly read the designation of your achro previously.

EDIT: the ST80 seems also to have a 1.25" focuser; shows just how much I know/knew. :rolleyes2:

I'm sure you realise by this already, Jules - but yes, it will be fine!

Mine comes to focus with ALL my eyepieces in whatever format, using a 2" diagonal. I have had several ED80's and was using mine this morning for white light and testing a new eyepiece (24mm ES 68-degree), and it reminded me what a great scope this is. So versatile and relatively small form factor.

Clear skies!

1 hour ago, A McEwan said:

I'm sure you realise by this already, Jules - but yes, it will be fine!

Mine comes to focus with ALL my eyepieces in whatever format, using a 2" diagonal. I have had several ED80's and was using mine this morning for white light and testing a new eyepiece (24mm ES 68-degree), and it reminded me what a great scope this is. So versatile and relatively small form factor.

Clear skies!

How do you rate your ED80 for planet views, my TS80 does very well for a little achro so i would guess the ED80 will blow it away though i am not buying it for planet views

Well, it's funny but I haven't used it for planets much at all! This one anyway. Previous ones have had more use that way and they showed noticeable detail for sure. Specially Jupiter, that shows great detail in 80mm aperture. GRS, transits, shadow transits, etc. What I can say for sure is that it's a very capable lunar and solar scope.

White light with a Herschel Wedge is just brilliant. I use the older Baader wedge with a Solar Continuum filter and a variable polariser, and the views are just what you want to see. Good granulation, faculae, great detail in Sunspots, sharp focus, light to set up.

I've used it with my Quark Chromosphere too, and that takes it all to a new level! Brilliant combination.

6 hours ago, Paul73 said:

I wasn't blown away with the planetry views. Nice and sharp but the image scale is tiny.

Wide fields full of lovely sharp stars are its forte.

Mine is also my white light workhorse.

Paul

Yes mine will also be for white light, i have a bit of film to make the filter

6 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

That solar film must be the best value spend in astronomy!

Sorry. Off topic.

Paul

Yes good value, cheeky question can you measure the dewshield diameter so i can see if i have enough film to make a full aperture filter 

On 3 September 2016 at 15:23, nightfisher said:

How do you rate your ED80 for planet views, my TS80 does very well for a little achro so i would guess the ED80 will blow it away though i am not buying it for planet views

I have an 80mm Equinox and had fantastic views of Mars and Saturn this summer from Tenerife with a Nagler zoom at 166x. Detail and sharpness still excellent at higher mags

Archived