Interesting Solar feature 01-09-16

Davey-T

Mosaic indeed! Looks dynamic.  I see you have a Lunt60 and a quark.  What is better-the Lunt60 or a Quark on a 100mm refractor? (or how about a 10" scope!).  Solar is very intriguing, never done it though so its hard to know what size scope is best.  My gut tells me 100mm but your 60 seems to do the job.  Then there's the stacking issue (single or double).  

3 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Mosaic indeed! Looks dynamic.  I see you have a Lunt60 and a quark.  What is better-the Lunt60 or a Quark on a 100mm refractor? (or how about a 10" scope!).  Solar is very intriguing, never done it though so its hard to know what size scope is best.  My gut tells me 100mm but your 60 seems to do the job.  Then there's the stacking issue (single or double).  

The Quark does super hi res close ups and the LS60 does super full discs in one go but you can Barlow it for close ups.

The one thing I have found is more aperture = more detail with the Quark so the 152mm is great, any refractor will do the job though, I've used 80mm, 100mm, 110mm and now 152mm, next stop 180mm :grin:

Needs to be a "normal" refractor not oil separated objective or built in flattener reducer type Petzval thingy.

I think Daystar make a Quark for cats now so may be one for Celestron.

Dave

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

The Quark does super hi res close ups and the LS60 does super full discs in one go but you can Barlow it for close ups.

The one thing I have found is more aperture = more detail with the Quark so the 152mm is great, any refractor will do the job though, I've used 80mm, 100mm, 110mm and now 152mm, next stop 180mm :grin:

Needs to be a "normal" refractor not oil separated objective or built in flattener reducer type Petzval thingy.

I think Daystar make a Quark for cats now so may be one for Celestron.

Dave

I think any quark can be used on a cat--but you need the full aperture blocking filter--their $150-$200 I think from daystar.  I am definitely into close ups on the rim and prominences as apposed to full discs--Like to see 3D curvature.  What would be better--a Quark on teh C11Edge or a 80mm Lunt?

On 02/09/2016 at 12:40, Rodd said:

I think any quark can be used on a cat--but you need the full aperture blocking filter--their $150-$200 I think from daystar.  I am definitely into close ups on the rim and prominences as apposed to full discs--Like to see 3D curvature.  What would be better--a Quark on teh C11Edge or a 80mm Lunt?

Due to the nearly 4X inbuilt Quark Barlow when added to the Cat focal length gets a bit extreme which is probably why Daystar are supposed to be making a CAT version.

Dave

Archived