Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Outside Storage

I feel this may be a silly question but here goes.  

Is it OK to leave the mount outside (an AZ-EQ6)  - with or without refractor scope attached - with a cover (see photo)?  The cover is waterproof and made for astronomy and I have left the set-up outside before when it's dry but I want to preserve the current settings for next week and am concerned about the electrics and optics with regards condensation if left out for a longer period + rain or shine.

I am thinking of taking the scope off and just leaving the mount out - if I do this is there any reason the PA etc won't be OK when the scope goes back on?    

Any thoughts would be welcomed + thanks, Graham.

Mount Cover.jpg

I'd be more worried about it getting nicked but for a short period it should be ok.Any exposed metal as the threads on the feet I would smear a bit of grease.People do leave their mounts outside but they are permanently attached to a pillar,I would definitely bring the scope in though

For a few days it is not a problem at all. As mentioned, the feet might suffer after a prolonged period of warm days and wet cold nights, but the mount should be fine under there. Check it every couple of days though, even if not being used to make sure there is no residual condensation and fire it up every few days as well to give you confidence it is all still fine. If you know it will be a while before you use it though, just bring it inside.

If your outside cover is fully waterproof and you have some kind of outside power? maybe put an electric blanket underneath set on low. I used to fling one of these over my setup in my old obsy.

I'd be worried about the electronics getting damp ingress otherwise.

9 hours ago, barrie greenwood said:

Looking at your set up why don't you mark the position on the flags with a small drill to make an indentation under each leg keep the position of your alt and AZ as well as you ra and Dec you can then just resit you tripod and mount into the indents job done

Baz

Thanks everyone.  

There are small drill indents under the feet positions but as Skipper says, the PA always needs fixing when I move the mount - which is usually most of the time + I struggle afterwards with no view of Polaris.  It was just with the good weather we've had + I had a decent PA and a good EQMOD alignment model, I wanted to leave things alone for a short while (a) to experiment and (b) to pursue my new nemesis - guiding!       

Whatever the outcome I will soon revert to putting the mount away and lugging it out each time.  Oh well!

Best thing I have ever done in any hobby was to building a micro obsy - look outside - clear - open roof - flick two switches - retire to dining room - fire up laptop - image. All done - flick two switches - close roof - go to bed.

Worth every penny and the back ache of the concreting!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/113316085@N05/albums/72157663274320360

Hi. It's fine outside. Mine had just a big upside-down plant pot for years. When I started needing cables, I built this to give more cover to the electrics. If you can bolt to railway sleepers or girders it will keep polar alignment and make it less attractive to thieves. HTH 

**Edit. Ah, and ventilation. It needs to be open otherwise you get condensation and mildew, fungus on gears and bad connections, even here in a dry climate.

mnt.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived