Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Patbloke

Searching by RA & Dec on Nexstar+

I have a Nexstar+ handset on my AVX and despite reading the manual and scrolling through the options; I cannot find where to search by entering RA & Dec on the handset.

Mostly I have been using the Deepsky and Stars sub headings to enter SAO, search Messiers etc but can't find search by RA & Dec can you help please? I can see that you can enter and save targets in User objects  by entering and saving RA & Dec... 

It could be me suffering a sleepy head??

• Press the Menu button then use the UP/DOWN buttons (6/9 on the number pad) to scroll to Precise Goto and press ENTER. Generally it is quickest to scroll UP.

• Use the UP/DOWN buttons to select whether the object you are interested in is in the hand control's database (catalogs) or if you will need to enter the RA and Dec of the object. Press ENTER to proceed.

• If you selected RA/Dec, simply enter the coordinates. If you selected database, use the UP/DOWN buttons to scroll to the correct catalog and press ENTER. Use the catalogs as you do for a regular GoTo.

• After selecting your target object and pressing ENTER, the hand control will present a list of stars near your target. Select any of these stars and press ENTER. You are presented with a list of possible stars since one of them might be obscured by a tree, etc.

• After pressing ENTER, the scope will automatically slew to the star you selected. Center the star in the eyepiece using the same arrow keys as used when you initially align the scope. Press ENTER and the scope will now slew to your actual target object, placing it precisely in the center of the field of view.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rob Kenning said:
  • If you selected RA/Dec, simply enter the coordinates. If you selected database, use the UP/DOWN buttons to scroll to the correct catalog and press ENTER. Use the catalogs as you do for a regular GoTo.

• After selecting your target object and pressing ENTER, the hand control will present a list of stars near your target. Select any of these stars and press ENTER. You are presented with a list of possible stars since one of them might be obscured by a tree, etc.

• After pressing ENTER, the scope will automatically slew to the star you selected. Center the star in the eyepiece using the same arrow keys as used when you initially align the scope. Press ENTER and the scope will now slew to your actual target object, placing it precisely in the center of the field of view.

Genius, thank you for that Rob.... I've looked again this morning in my lounge and realise this option wasn't available without alignment.  Ha ha trying to align in daylight in my lounge could have proven difficult had I not had the one star alignment option. It picked Sirius at the zenith, ish :-)

Can't wait to get out there and do some more searching now using RA & Dec for stars and doubles not in the database whoop whoop... Love this forum and the helpful people on here! We're all in it together :-)

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.