Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gamma Cygni revisited (2x4 mosaic)

Uranium235

Its been a few months since I left off from this one, so its time to pick it up again and run with it. Another two panes down, 8 to go... which will be another 2x4 above this one to bring in the tulip. And with it, that will increase the difficulty of stitching it all together, its not the matching of stars that is the issue, but background levels.

Processing was a severe case of "press a button, go make a cuppa", so I dread to think of what it will be like once I get up to the full compliment of panes. Ps probably slowed a fair bit becuase when you run contrast enhancement it treats the image as an RGB, so it triples the memory used. Also I had to clear up some brighter than normal background levels from the lower right area - Ive no idea why it went like that, but its no job too diffucult for Mr layer mask. Also I whipped out the patented star hammer and knocked back a few of the larger stars (and on Sadr).

Perhaps next week I will get the chance to continue this, as the forecast isnt looking too clever for the rest of the week.

8x900 (Ha) 2x4 panes

Star71, Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Thanks for looking! :)

29082713270_09197b77bf_k.jpg

Fullsize (8866x3401):

https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8537/29082713270_a798b7873b_o.jpg

Looking great Rob.

It's curious though... You have an ultra wide field of view scope and have set about making a huge mosaic when surely the whole point of the scope is to get more into a single frame!!! The really curious thing is that I have gone down that route with the same scope too and am attempting a four pane mosaic of the Veil Nebula!

Perhaps we both just need a fish-eye lens instead!

Good luck with the continuing capture and I look forward to seeing this grow and grow. I won't mention colour...........:ohmy:

7 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Looking great Rob.

It's curious though... You have an ultra wide field of view scope and have set about making a huge mosaic when surely the whole point of the scope is to get more into a single frame!!! The really curious thing is that I have gone down that route with the same scope too and am attempting a four pane mosaic of the Veil Nebula!

Perhaps we both just need a fish-eye lens instead!

Good luck with the continuing capture and I look forward to seeing this grow and grow. I won't mention colour...........:ohmy:

Thanks Gav :)

As always, when youre using a telescope with a wide FOV there is always the "what if..." scenario - when you try to fit in more, and go for bigger, grander projects. With a longer FL it would be next to impossible for me to cover this much sky! Besides, mosaics are a bit moreish - but there definitely wont be any colour as I really think my PC will throw in the towel if I try asking it to process a colour image of this size at it ...lol. (it took nearly 6 hours for me to be satisfied with this one!).

I have seriously thought about getting a shorter FL lens, something like an f2 135mm. But I've got a couple of things to pay for before I splash out any more dosh.

Rob, I've thought about short lenses on my CCD too, there are various issues, but one showstopper problem would be the drop in scale and resolution. If you're not careful you'll end up with one degree per pixel and no amount of sharpening will make that show up the kind of detail you have in this image!

Super image - a man on a mission tackling a mosaic on that scale.  But a great mission and the results are going to be super may need a PC upgrade to finish it though by the sounds of it.

Don't we all wish we could image all of the sky - the wider field makes this seem more achievable.  I will be joining the club once i have run a few images on the new set up I will be starting a winter mosaic of (yet to be defined!!) but may start of with something a little more modest.

Looks like despite some challenges all it working well - good luck with the next sections.

Paddy

Cheers Paddy, Im hoping an increase in memory might help the situation. It depends on whether I can still get hold of any DDR2 1066mhz, although my mobo is one of those which clocks down to 800mhz if you fill all four channels :(

Winter mosaic? How about Orion? That will be open for business soon - or perhaps you can try a Perseus dust cloud (M45 - NGC 1333), however that might be a bit on thr tricky side - well for me it would anyway!

11 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Its been a few months since I left off from this one, so its time to pick it up again and run with it. Another two panes down, 8 to go... which will be another 2x4 above this one to bring in the tulip. And with it, that will increase the difficulty of stitching it all together, its not the matching of stars that is the issue, but background levels.

Processing was a severe case of "press a button, go make a cuppa", so I dread to think of what it will be like once I get up to the full compliment of panes. Ps probably slowed a fair bit becuase when you run contrast enhancement it treats the image as an RGB, so it triples the memory used. Also I had to clear up some brighter than normal background levels from the lower right area - Ive no idea why it went like that, but its no job too diffucult for Mr layer mask. Also I whipped out the patented star hammer and knocked back a few of the larger stars (and on Sadr).

Perhaps next week I will get the chance to continue this, as the forecast isnt looking too clever for the rest of the week.

8x900 (Ha) 2x4 panes

Star71, Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Thanks for looking! :)

29082713270_91e5e4061c_k.jpg

Fullsize (8866x3401):

https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8537/29082713270_1923a337ee_o.jpg

You are an inspirtation :)

1 hour ago, Uranium235 said:

Cheers Paddy, Im hoping an increase in memory might help the situation. It depends on whether I can still get hold of any DDR2 1066mhz, although my mobo is one of those which clocks down to 800mhz if you fill all four channels :(

Winter mosaic? How about Orion? That will be open for business soon - or perhaps you can try a Perseus dust cloud (M45 - NGC 1333), however that might be a bit on thr tricky side - well for me it would anyway!

Actually did a m78 to m42 one last year and also a 50 hour+ NGC 1333 and quite a nice M45 - maybe time to stitch that data together......

Suffered all the PC problems previously - ended up buying a second hand twin xeon processor (24 cores) and some second hand memory for it, all very reasonable that way.  24 threads at 2.9ghz and 72gb of ram (and have added ssd's over time) - still sit here twiddling fingers here occasionally though!

Paddy

6 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Actually did a m78 to m42 one last year and also a 50 hour+ NGC 1333 and quite a nice M45 - maybe time to stitch that data together......

Suffered all the PC problems previously - ended up buying a second hand twin xeon processor (24 cores) and some second hand memory for it, all very reasonable that way.  24 threads at 2.9ghz and 72gb of ram (and have added ssd's over time) - still sit here twiddling fingers here occasionally though!

Paddy

lol... that makes your machine about six times more powerful than mine (on the processing side), I'm still on admittedy now ancient Phenom quad core, with just 4gig of memory and an SSD. Barring the SSD and GFX card, the system is about 7 years old now. It runs all my games ok (new and old) but when it comes to raw processing power, its now a fair bit behind the times.

So, if wanted to upgrade - it would need a completey new chipset, memory and processor socket type (AMD) as its moved on at least three or four generations since AM2. About the only thing I could salvage is the SSD and PCI/PCIe cards.

It never fails to amaze me just how many different skills astronomy involves (especially AP)... engineering, IT, maths, physics to name but a few... but with that should also include a truckload of patience :)

14 hours ago, johnrt said:

This would make a great print to hang on the living room wall :)

Thats the idea John :)

Once its finished, it will probably look good as an A1 print - and it will be capable of turning out well at A0 but I dont have enough wall space for something that large :D

Archived