Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR astrometry - MPC submission

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows what to write in the submission header for the telescope description (TEL) if I'm using a dslr for astrometric reduction? The MPC format page doesn't give a code to specify a dslr has been used.

Gary

Hey Guy.

I ended up emailing MPC, they told me to just use 'C' as there was no specific code for DSLR. Submitted my first observations this morning, hopefully they were all correct and I'll get an Obs. code soon. They seem to be correct using the NEO checker.

Gary.

I think all observations were within 1" but I'm not sure about consistency of residuals. Yes I got a acknowledgement message after a few attempts, it acknowledged the header not the observations at first because I left a gap between them. I observed (405) Thia and (444) Gyptis, practiced with Pallas first as it is visible most of night and easy to find.

I'm using IRIS at the moment. I've heard astrometrica and astroart are better but I thought I'd try out with freeware to see how I get along. I was surprised it actually gives a pretty accurate magnitude too, I didn't submit the magnitudes as I wasn't using any U,B,V, filters.

• 2 weeks later...

After waiting 2 weeks since submitting observations I emailed the MPC last night to see whether there was a problem with my observations or they just hadn't been processed yet. I got this short and charming reply... "Not processed yet. We are busy with more urgent tasks."

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I've not really done any astrometry since I sent in these observations to get a code. I do always blink my 1st and last images of any deep sky targets to look for anything new but no luck there yet. I'll have to find some known targets now I can submit my observations.

Z49 is the observatory of the university I am doing a distance learning course at too, it's a small world.

• 8 months later...

Hi guys, I sent in astrometry for (3122) Florence the other night, I'd had to wait two weeks for a second lot of observations due to weather. The morning after I sent them in my data for the night before 15/09/17 was up on their website but not the observations from 31/08/17.

Any ideas why this would be? Not updated older observations yet, not needed, just incorrect somehow?

Gary, Runcorn Z47

Thanks Guy

I'm just looking on the MPC astrometry guide where it says not to check residuals until after submission, I wasn't aware I could check them for my location at a specific time. I'll have to look in to it.

I've still not had much time to do any astrometry between summer, weather and computer breaking down! Got my MPC code almost a year to the day of submitting these observations too.

I think I best do some practice measurements on low numbered ones again and check residuals once I know how to.

Gary.

Archived