Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

They say it never rains, but it pours. Certainly seems to be the case with my NEQ6 recently.

When I set up the mount last night, I found the "Dec Lock Lever" (#16 on the attached diagram) has completely seized. Cannot shift it in either direction, despite attacking it with as much force/pressure as I felt comfortable doing, considering it is just a piece of plastic and breaking it would not improve the situation any. Had it out again today in the cold light of day, but to no avail.

So my first question would be: has anyone else had this problem and (possibly more importantly) found a solution to it?

In the absence of that, I have been giving some thoughts to what it will mean. Firstly the good news:
(1) It has seized in the position in which it is stored (with the bolts "below") so at least I can keep it in its box without major alterations.
(2) It was fine last night, as I was using the camera, which fits lengthwise on a dovetail bar, so when it was fitted in that position, the camera was pointing north - the usual "home" position.

BUT: When I put one of the scopes on it, the scope will be facing west in the "home" position. OK, so when I first "unpark" it, the mount will think it is pointing north and so the initial GOTO alignment of the scope will have the mount pointing it roughtly 90° away from where it needs to be. I can then move the mount using the EQMOD controls so that it is pointing where I want it to and then do my first sync. Once that has happened, presumably it will continue based on that position and every other GOTO of the evening will work out fine.

But what will happen at the end of the evening when I "Park to home". Will it go back to pointing west (which will mean the mount will fit in its box), or will it adjust where it thinks home is based on the syncs I have performed during the evening and so point north (which will mean the mount will not fit in its box)?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

152.jpg

Edited by Demonperformer

Don't own the mounts and no experience but have you thought about spraying some silicon on it? It won't dry out like WD40 and is therefore not likely to give you problems later on. Worth a punt. 

• Like 1

take the plastic part off, then you should be able to use an adjustable spanner, with its greater length you be able to put more force into moving it....

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

take the plastic part off, then you should be able to use an adjustable spanner, with its greater length you be able to put more force into moving it....

Thanks, Julian. It worked perfectly and, once I had removed the plastic bit, did not require an enormous amount of force to shift it. In case it helps anyone else, the nut underneath is a square 12mm one.

I have replaced the plastic bit at a right-angle to the way it was - I have terrible difficulty with clockwise/counterclockwise or tighten/loosen - almost inevitably I end up trying to turn things the wrong way, which I guess is what has happened here - or maybe just simple overtightening, but now it will be horizontal and tight or horizontal and loose - even I won't be able to get that wrong ... umm ...

If your really brave, you could always strip down the mount, clean & re-grease....  There are lots of how to's here....

• Like 1

Or, I could go the whole hog and fit a belt-upgrade.

Of course, looking at (i) how much there is to take apart and put back together again in that upgrade, and (ii) the fact that it took me 23 hours to work up the courage to undo one phillips screw, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for me ...

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Or, I could go the whole hog and fit a belt-upgrade.

Well there are kits available all with step by step instructions...:evil4::evil4:

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By morayskies
      Hi All
      Has anybody else had this problem?
      I use a single, ageing laptop (HP620 8Gb RAM) running Windows 7 Pro 64bit to control my imaging setup using the following software;
      Cartes du Ciel and EQMOD to control EQ5 Pro mount via EQDIRECT cable connected via powered USB Hub
      BackyardEOS to capture images from Canon 450D via same USB powered hub
      PHD2 for guiding using GP-CAM 130C and EQMOD pulse guiding
      What confuses me is that some evenings everything works absolutely fine.  Another evening, using exactly the same hardware, software and even connections (ie I always plug the leads into the same ports) the system will be working fine but then suddenly fail.  The failure affects EQMOD indicating a timeout or port not available issue and the Canon 450D also 'locks' requiring a restart of the camera and BackyardEOS.
      I have run USBTree during such a failure and it is showing that the EQDIRECT cable (ie serial converter) is still connected to COM4 (which is correct) and the Canon 450D is also still connected.  I basically have to ensure that all the software is closed and any associated services also stopped.  Of course, the scope is now pointing away from its home position so I have to move it manually back to 'home' before starting again.
      My thoughts are that there could be a number of issues;
      1. Use of a USB hub
      2. A dodgy EQDIRECT cable
      3. USB cables too long (ie about 5m)
      4. Windows is turning off a connection (I have set the power management for each USB port to 'off')
      5. Canon 450D somehow 'freezing'

When using this laptop, I turn off the Wifi and Anti Virus and Automatic Updates are also off.
      It just baffles me that sometimes this system works flawlessly for hours and yet other nights it keeps failing.
      Any suggestions gratefully received.
      Thanks for looking.
    • By Demonperformer
      I am at a complete loss to understand why eqmod was not syncing on CdC last night. I have had a look at this video, I had the star centred on the screen [3m33s], I pressed sync on CdC, I got the dialog box [3m39s], I clicked 'yes' and NOTHING happened: the white circle stayed where it was, no sync points were added to EQMOD, zilch!
      I can get round most problems, but this really one stymies my GOTOs and, therefore, my imaging process.
      I have been unable to find anything in the EQMOD documentation that deals with such an error and a search on here has turned up no help (but that always depends on the words put into the search!). I checked all the obvious things (location, date/time, etc - but why any of these should stop sync working is beyond me). It's all running on Windoze 10.
      Any suggestions on why this should have stopped working and (more importantly) how I might get it working?
      Thanks.
    • By RolandKol
      Hi guys,
      I bought NEQ6 (second hand) almost a year ago...
      Unfortunately, the seller has not told me that Mount has a damaged Altitude adjustment thread,  so my T - bolt fell off after a month or two...
      I tried used THREAD TAP REPAIR CUTTER KIT M10 x 1.25 and it worked till today  
      While placing new Thread, I noticed that SW Mount metal is not very tough, however, the new thread was quite good.
      Today, I tried to adjust my scope in the new place and the Altitude Adjustment bold simply fell off... Fortunately, I managed to catch my rig, otherwise, I presume, my whole set up could end up on the ground... "LUCKY!!!!".
      Is there any fast way to fix it up?
      I planned to attend astrocamp on the 5th of October for the first time... 
      I guess I need to buy a larger Bolt and re-thread the mount, but metal is sooo soft... I afraid to do it again ;(
      Any advice will help... .... ....

• By Selborne
      Hi Guys/Girls
      I had a chance to get out in the garden last evening, had a go at capturing NGC 7023 - Iris Nebula, only managed to get 12 good shots, 240sec x 12, combined in Photoshop with Mean Stacking.  The dew was super heavy and currently I do not have any dew heaters (next purchase) so lost the battle after around 2 hours. 
      One interesting point is I captured these shots with the long exposure noise reduction switched on with the Sony A7Rii, so each shot took 8 mins to take and save, but as a result the noise levels were next to zero at 800 ISO, and at the end of the day the noise is always our enemy.  I need to try a real pro level 'cooled' astro camera just to see how much better it could be, as the Sony A7Rii is just stellar !
      I am very happy with the final shot, taken with my Skywatcher 100 ED Pro Esprit Scope on my NEQ6 mount, Skywatcher ED50 Guide Scope and Altair Astro ASI130mm camera, PHD2 of course.  The sky was nice and clear with low light pollution, as around 5 miles from major town.
      I do not take darks or flats or use Deep Sky Stacker, and I do not use filters, plus the camera has not been modified, so I am always delighted with the results I get from my set-up, as I have a deep level of respect for the hard work that most Astrophotographers go through to get the incredible images that we see here in Stargazers.
      I have read that some people believe that the Sony Alpha cameras have a tendency to 'eat the stars' and not show everything captured, to be honest, I always used a Canon 60Da for  many years for my astrophotography, until one day I though, what if my Sony A7Rii could be used, the first time I did this I released that it was time to sell the Canon 60Da, the 'Remote' (free) Sony software is almost as good as BackYardEOS, but the cameras are a decade apart in performance, the noise levels on the Sony are at least 4 maybe even 5 stops better than the Canon, that is the Sony A7Rii at 3200 iso equal to the Canon 60Da at 200 iso, so at 800 iso it is just so impressive.  As you can see from the picture only 12 frames, stacked in Photoshop (Mean). 
      Open to comments and welcome a discussion/debate,
      thanks
      Jamie

• By Demonperformer
      Can't see that this has been posted before, but apologies if it has.
      Spent yesterday morning watching a series of 15 videos (about 2¼ hours in total) on the Rowan Belt mod for the NEQ6. Every detail demonstrated and explained. Made me feel that even a DIY-clutz like me could give it a go ... almost!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.