SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NEQ6 ... Pouring!

Demonperformer

They say it never rains, but it pours. Certainly seems to be the case with my NEQ6 recently.

When I set up the mount last night, I found the "Dec Lock Lever" (#16 on the attached diagram) has completely seized. Cannot shift it in either direction, despite attacking it with as much force/pressure as I felt comfortable doing, considering it is just a piece of plastic and breaking it would not improve the situation any. Had it out again today in the cold light of day, but to no avail.

So my first question would be: has anyone else had this problem and (possibly more importantly) found a solution to it?

In the absence of that, I have been giving some thoughts to what it will mean. Firstly the good news:
(1) It has seized in the position in which it is stored (with the bolts "below") so at least I can keep it in its box without major alterations.
(2) It was fine last night, as I was using the camera, which fits lengthwise on a dovetail bar, so when it was fitted in that position, the camera was pointing north - the usual "home" position.

BUT: When I put one of the scopes on it, the scope will be facing west in the "home" position. OK, so when I first "unpark" it, the mount will think it is pointing north and so the initial GOTO alignment of the scope will have the mount pointing it roughtly 90° away from where it needs to be. I can then move the mount using the EQMOD controls so that it is pointing where I want it to and then do my first sync. Once that has happened, presumably it will continue based on that position and every other GOTO of the evening will work out fine.

But what will happen at the end of the evening when I "Park to home". Will it go back to pointing west (which will mean the mount will fit in its box), or will it adjust where it thinks home is based on the syncs I have performed during the evening and so point north (which will mean the mount will not fit in its box)?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

152.jpg

Don't own the mounts and no experience but have you thought about spraying some silicon on it? It won't dry out like WD40 and is therefore not likely to give you problems later on. Worth a punt. 

18 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

take the plastic part off, then you should be able to use an adjustable spanner, with its greater length you be able to put more force into moving it....

Thanks, Julian. It worked perfectly and, once I had removed the plastic bit, did not require an enormous amount of force to shift it. In case it helps anyone else, the nut underneath is a square 12mm one.

I have replaced the plastic bit at a right-angle to the way it was - I have terrible difficulty with clockwise/counterclockwise or tighten/loosen - almost inevitably I end up trying to turn things the wrong way, which I guess is what has happened here - or maybe just simple overtightening, but now it will be horizontal and tight or horizontal and loose - even I won't be able to get that wrong ... umm ...

Or, I could go the whole hog and fit a belt-upgrade.

Of course, looking at (i) how much there is to take apart and put back together again in that upgrade, and (ii) the fact that it took me 23 hours to work up the courage to undo one phillips screw, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for me ...

Thanks.

Archived