SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What PC

ultramol

I am thinking of buying a new PC but I am worried that Windows 10 ( I use windows 7 at the minute ) might cause bother with the likes of DSS, Registax 6. EQascom, Stellarium etc. I have heard horror stories about drivers not driving so to speak, am I being a bit paranoid or is windows 10 ok ?

Regards     Geoff

There was a thread on this topic somewhere and the consensus is that modern versions of EQmod/ASCOM, PhD, APT, CdC etc work perfectly OK under Windows 10.  I am on windows 7 because I see no reason to mend something that is not broken ;)

I have Win 10.  All software seems to work.  The only issue I have had is that, on two occasions now, I have had a Windows update - after the update I have found my USB 3 powered hub has packed in.  It cannot just be a coincidence.

My only issue has been with the USB to Serial drivers being automatically updated which stopped it working (fake chinese chip?). Relaoding old driver and blocking driver updates seems to work.

I think this was the Prolific Chip issue. I have an older FTDI "made it myself" cable that works just fine.

David

Hi Geoff,

Interesting question..... I believe all new PCs are impregnated with Windows 10. I currently run Windows 7 on my PC and have no plans to upgrade that PC to W10.

I have an Apple MacBook Pro which runs Windows 10 under Parallels 12. I have not experienced any problems todate (but I have not really put any load on it yet).

I am interested in Julian's comments and will no doubt have a good opportunity at the Galloway Star Party at the end of Oct and early November to discuss software with him.

Incidentally, he has a good understanding of all things technical!!!!

Windows 10 has been out for over a year now, so most of the serious bugs/mis-functions should have been corrected.

Would be interested in how you get on.

Cheers

Adrian

Thank you everyone with your help. My PC is just about dead and all new ones seem to have windows 10 on them, but it looks like I dont have to panic. I am not computer savvy and the thought of "fiddling " with drivers or "cloning drives " or "emulators " fills me with dread.            Thanks once again    Geoff

Archived