Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heart and Soul feedback request

MattJenko

Afternoon all. Here is a semi work in progress: the Heart and Soul in a 2 panel x3 narrowband mosaic (Ha, Oiii, Sii), using a TS60ED and an ASI1600M. All subs are 5 minutes and there are a lot of them (about 15 hours per panel). I want to get as much feedback as possible please, because I am struggling to know how to best process this kind of image. I am a PixInsight user, so don't have the luxury of PS layers with easy access to process subsections, which is my main problem. I have been trying to process each frame as much as possible and then combine, but I am now not sure what to try next, so if any mosaic expert can chip in with some advice, I would be very grateful.

Having said all that, I am properly over the moon with how it has gone so far. I used the HST palette, removed the stars from each channel to process the colour and then used the strong Ha (including stars) as Lum over the top. I then uber-zapped the Green with SCNR to give the milky cloud effect which I like.

MergeMosaic.jpg

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt

Nice work - for me a little less or more selective use of noise reduction may help especially in the brighter areas of the Heart.  This may allow some extra contrast and perceived detail.   You could also try some auto-histogram type stretching which should allow you better control/smaller stars which again may visually release the nebula more.

Great work so far - some tweaks possibly but nothing to stress over.

Paddy

Wow--the 1600mmcool is awesome.  I need one!!! Have you used Local Histogram Equalization?  I find its a great tool in conjunction with compressing the dynamic range with the HDRMT tool.  HDRMT is usually done earlier on, though the Local Hist. Equil. can be done late in processing.  Either way, I think its a brilliant image.  Maybe a tad to saturated in places, but that is a personal thing.  I have been trying hard to tome down the saturation.  Its hard to do though.

Archived