SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

50 astronomy wonders to see before you die

algol

Intreasting thread, had a tally and have managed to bag 43, some of these Ive not tried for but im sure are quite easy to see like the cycle of Algol and the dead volcano.

Ive still to view

The disc or Uranus - seen Uranus but not as a disc

Green flash - tried , always failed

Magelanic clouds - never been that far south , however hope to see them next month while on holiday

Gengenshein - ? requires very dark skies, unlikely from the UK

TLP - if it really exists

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what really counts as having 'seen' an object? I counted 26, but it depends how one includes things (I left out the total eclipse since I was cloud-bound). And one or two oddballs. Since I've been doing mostly imaging, I don't have the eyepieces out with the 'scope very often. How many can see M81 (Bodes galaxy) through binoculars? I have definitely made it out through 10x50s from a dark site in France, but never in UK. Ditto M33 (not on the list). M51 - no: maybe I haven't tried hard enough.

The rules for the All Arizona Messier Marathon define "see" as having "observed the object with your own eyes through the main optics of your instrument." Imaging doesn't count, though one member two years ago imaged 102 in a single night. I believe he's out of the loonie bin now, none the worse for wear. :)

I've seen 30. I nearly got to see the Small Magellanic Cloud from the Maldives but there was a patch of stubborn cloud right where it should of been (rest of the sky was clear) :)

Don't think there is much chance of seeing the Gegenschein in the UK, apparently Patrick Moore saw it once during the WWII blackout!

Archived