SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pleased With Last Night's Crop of DSOs (big files)

Stub Mandrel

Last night was one of those unexpected clear nights; I had assumed the scattered cloud would spoil everything - in fact I lost ten or a dozen subs once or twice, but the mist was concentrated into the cloud and in between it was nice and clear and steady and despite the LP at home things went quite well.

Let's see what did we get?

First, 20 minutes on M15, just to wait while my real targets rose a bit higher. I like this because you can make out isolated blue and yellow stars in the gobular.

M15.png

Next, the nebulosity around Gamma Cassiopeia, just 34 minutes as about ten subs were lost to cloud. Really a test as my last attempt on this one didn't show any nebulosity:

Y Cas.png

Sixty-nine minutes on the Wizard Nebula. It must be bright as it was clearly visible on each sub using the preview screen. I was going to do two hours but didn't allow for a branch 40-feet overhead:

Wizard.png

One target I keep struggling with is M33, the Triangulum Galaxy. I got two hours of data and also used half an hour from three weeks ago. It didn't show up in the previews so the framing is a bit off:

M33.png

Finally, the Plieades, 46 minutes before the sky started to lighten, plus about twenty from earlier in the month.

Plieades all data.png

No doubt I will revisit these several times, but it was a much more productive session than my last dark sky attempt.

Archived