Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Epsilon Lyrae - Field stars

Anyone know the magnitudes of the field stars between the two pairs of Epsilon Lyr? Last night was so clear, and with such good seeing (4/5), that field stars appeared around doubles that I'd never seen before. Even Pi Aquilae appeared to have a few.

Chris

9 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

Anyone know the magnitudes of the field stars between the two pairs of Epsilon Lyr? Last night was so clear, and with such good seeing (4/5), that field stars appeared around doubles that I'd never seen before. Even Pi Aquilae appeared to have a few.

Chris

Any of these Chris? These are down to mag 15.4

image.png

No, the ones I can see are not in the Skysafari list.

The one which forms a triangle with the pair is always obvious, even in a small scope, but between the two pairs there were a couple of fainter stars visible with direct vision, and with two more visible with averted vision. They can be seen in this image from the web:- (second image)

http://earthsky.org/brightest-stars/epsilon-lyrae-the-famous-double-double-star

Chris

Michael, you beat me to it with the CdC map! One thing I noticed was that your map shows more stars than mine. Which catalog are you using?

I think I might have a go at Chris's two fainter ones myself. I've never knowlingly visually observed stars as faint as 14th mag, but have recently moved to darker skies and my 10" Newt ought to manage it..

Which catalog are you using? 

I'm using UCAC4. The faintest star in this region (not labelled here - it's the one between Eps2 and the 11.94 above it) is 16.58. That's about as far as the catalogue goes.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Stu said:

Chris, as mentioned in another post, I managed the two brighter ones last night with the C925, but could see the two mag 13+ stars even with AV. Will try again!

Probably a conditions issue: I noted them when it was a very clear night indeed with the added bonus of good seeing. At the moment, Epsilon Lyr is also in my least light-polluted part of the sky. Good luck next time, the two more inches or so with the 9.25 should help.

I've tried a few images of the D-D recently and have not managed to show any of the field stars at all (apart from the brightish one shown above in SSPro). But then again, I am no imager..

Chris

• 1 year later...

Just linked to this thread from the current DD thread, and noted that the SkySafari 6 Pro additional database does show stars down to mag 17.5 in this area. Not that I can get anywhere near that!

90B9AE41-9C98-461F-A431-50C747C98FE9.png

Archived