Narrowband

Esprit 120 - First Light - M13

gnomus

This is my first image with the Skywatcher Esprit 120.  The weather has been a little 'trying' and so, despite several days work, I have managed only: 6 x 5 mins Red; 7 x 5 mins Green and 7 x 5 mins Blue - that is 1 hour and 40 mins total over 3 nights :clouds1:

Camera is QSI 690 - Filters are Astrodon.  In contrast to the capture, the processing was reasonably straightforward.  Image Calibration/Integration, Channel Combination and DBE in PI: stretching (mix of curves and levels) in PS.  The QSI seems to be very clean - I did use darks, but didn't feel I needed any NR whatsoever.  In addition to M13 itself, I can make out a couple of galaxies.  The obvious one very top right is (I am pretty sure) NGC 6207 which, according to Stellarium, is a sobering 19.6 Megaparsecs (64 million light years) away.  The second, fainter galaxy also in the top right quadrant of the picture is (I think) IC 4617.  Stellarium is silent as to that distance.  The cluster itself is ~22,000 light years from us.  

M13x1200.png 

43 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

There are more than you think in this area - and these were just 10min subs :)

You are going to make me over-stretch my image if you're not careful .... damn ... too late.....

04_M13_x1200px.png

Your second image is very good for such limited data Steve and is a good example of the sensitivity of the Sony chip.  You can just see the propeller feature emerging and lovely star colours, round in shape all over the frame, no aberration which all speak of good optics.  The FT focuser was worth the expense, honest gov'.

A good first light Steve and I hope that you get some more clear skies as I know your first light has been weeks in the waiting!  You must be very pleased to have a winner scope here.

Chapeau! :headbang:

Thanks Barry.  It was a relief to find things were OK.  And the FT focuser is very nice.  

I have started some Ha capture too - somewhere in the Veil I think.  If I am able to keep up the rate of capture I managed with M13, I should get the new image ready for around 2025 AD.  

That's a super first outing and all looks like it is working as it should, nothing to worry about there other than now having to wait for clear skies.

Galaxy hunting is great in images - I am sad enough to sit there trying to drag out structure from even the smallest ones in my images at times!!

Finger crossed for some more clear skies.

Paddy

On 30/08/2016 at 09:57, gnomus said:

This is my first image with the Skywatcher Esprit 120.  The weather has been a little 'trying' and so, despite several days work, I have managed only: 6 x 5 mins Red; 7 x 5 mins Green and 7 x 5 mins Blue - that is 1 hour and 40 mins total over 3 nights :clouds1:

Camera is QSI 690 - Filters are Astrodon.  In contrast to the capture, the processing was reasonably straightforward.  Image Calibration/Integration, Channel Combination and DBE in PI: stretching (mix of curves and levels) in PS.  The QSI seems to be very clean - I did use darks, but didn't feel I needed any NR whatsoever.  In addition to M13 itself, I can make out a couple of galaxies.  The obvious one very top right is (I am pretty sure) NGC 6207 which, according to Stellarium, is a sobering 19.6 Megaparsecs (64 million light years) away.  The second, fainter galaxy also in the top right quadrant of the picture is (I think) IC 4617.  Stellarium is silent as to that distance.  The cluster itself is ~22,000 light years from us.  

M13x1200.png 

Glad everything worked out so well on first try-out; excellent result.   Looks like we're all out imaging M13 at the mo'.  For an interesting comparison, this from my Esprit 100 from a couple of nights ago (ignore the top star distortion, a few subs got caught in the trees).  It's RGB and about an hour all in.  Differences will be image scale from focal length difference, and pixel scale from this being the Atik460 chip rather than the 490; I guess the Atiks and QSI use the same Sony chips.  I'm very happy with the '100', although it needed some Es Reid tlc in the early days to tweak coma and pinching.  Look forward to seeing your future pics with this scope.

Tim

m13fullres.jpg

Nice to see your image Tim.  These Esprit's seem quite good.  Mine went to Mr Reid before shipping to me, but I don't think he needed to do anything to it.  I am thinking about getting an 80mm, but don't tell Mrs Gnomus.

Archived