Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Barnard's Galaxy ( NGC 6822 ) in the constellation Sagittarius ( final version )

MikeODay

Barnard's Galaxy ( NGC 6822 ) in the constellation Sagittarius ( final version - well, at least until I can get more data :) )

image.jpeg

( click on image to see larger )

Barnard's Galaxy is one of a number of dwarf galaxies relatively near to us in our Local Group of galaxies. Similar in structure to the Small Magellanic Cloud, Barnard's galaxy is thought to be about half the size and around eight times as far away at 1.6 M Light Years. 

Weather permitting I hope to add more subs to help bring the faint detail further out from the sky background.

Details:

Barnard's Galaxy ( NGC 6822 ).
Skywatcher Quattro 10" f4 Newtonian telescope.
Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT Mount.
Orion 80mm f5 guide scope and auto guider - PHD2.
Baader MPCC Mark 3 Coma Corrector, no filter.
Nikon D5300 (unmodified).
Field of view (deg) ~ 1.35 x 0.90.
ISO400, 14bit NEF, Long Exp. NR on.
40 x 180sec (1/3 before & 2/3 after zenith) 25 Aug 16.

Processed in PixInsight and finished off in Photoshop.

re-processed to increase contrast and brightness of galaxy and a slight increase in overall sharpness.

Links:
https://500px.com/MikeODay
http://photo.net/photos/MikeODay

9 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very nice shot. I managed to spot this object a few years back from France. Very hard object as it is obscured by dust in our galaxy, and is in a rich star field.  Well done getting such a good image

Thanks Michael, that is very kind of you.

Looks great - especially for such a difficult object. Also, seems like your Orion autoguider is doing a really good job - i'm just getting started with mine so that's encouraging to see.

" Weather permitting I hope to add more subs to help bring the faint detail further out from the sky background. "

If you do, please share the final version with us :)

1 minute ago, Akiainavas said:

Looks great - especially for such a difficult object. Also, seems like your Orion autoguider is doing a really good jobb.

Thanks, much appreciated.  I think I am at my limit though as far as guiding goes.  I turn off guiding in DEC due to too much backlash that I just don't seem to be able to get rid of (with it on I end up getting a PHD DEC graph that looks like a square wave :( ).  In this image, if you look real close, the stars are just a tad out of round, so 3 min exposures without guiding in DEC is about my limit.

Cheers

Mike

Archived