I have never tried it but Clumber Park near the A1 junction for Worksop looks very dark.

The car park used to have a reputation for another nocturnal activity but I'm not sure whether or not that was just a myth. Probably worth going there during the day to scout the area out for places to park and set-up followed by a visit in darkness to make sure there are no other hobbies being pursued at the time you would want to be there :wink:

1 hour ago, MartinFlower said:

I know CLumber well from camping and cycling. I may go down tonight with the scope and check it out. Im sure there are areas where I can avoid the other activities!

Just make sure you don't flash your head torch at anyone :lol:

Hi Martin

Probably your best bet is Sutton Bank which I've used quite a few times. Easy to get to with the motorway links and if you get off the beaten track away from the visitors centre it's quiet

On 8/29/2016 at 17:26, DRT said:

I have never tried it but Clumber Park near the A1 junction for Worksop looks very dark.

The car park used to have a reputation for another nocturnal activity but I'm not sure whether or not that was just a myth. Probably worth going there during the day to scout the area out for places to park and set-up followed by a visit in darkness to make sure there are no other hobbies being pursued at the time you would want to be there :wink:

Yeah, don't want to be caught nearby with a telescope with that stuff going on lol.

theres a designated dark sky site ive been to at the other side of sheffield,surprise view car park near fox corner.follow the a625 out of sheffield towards hathersage and its on the right about half a mile after fox house on the corner,virtuallly a 360 deg view and really dark. im from maltby martin and it takes me about 40 mins to get there.

18 minutes ago, MBJ said:

theres a designated dark sky site ive been to at the other side of sheffield,surprise view car park near fox corner.follow the a625 out of sheffield towards hathersage and its on the right about half a mile after fox house on the corner,virtuallly a 360 deg view and really dark. im from maltby martin and it takes me about 40 mins to get there.

You may want to join us at winscar one night as its not far from there.

3 minutes ago, mapstar said:

We are planning a trip there on saturday  all being well.

The small car park off the sailing club road which is off windle edge lane 

You are more than welcome to join us 

Damian 

cheers damian,if im free i might make my way over.

Archived