Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Permanent custompier installation has begun

Jonk

After reading multiple posts about digging holes, pouring concrete and how it 'was all worth it', I got round to deciding where to dig for my incoming custom pier.

It's nice to give something back for all the information I have read on SGL, so here's my story so far...

1. Decide where to dig the hole. This was based on a number of things:

a) Best location for the coverage. Various trees etc. made this tricky.

b ) Best location to see the astronomical horizon over the south facing fence.

c) Best location to see the planets and moon when they're low.

d) Best location to avoid the drain pipes in the ground.

e) Best location to avoid direct view of a couple of nearby lamp posts.

My pier is about 1200mm high, so I set the tripod to this height and moved it about, with the long frac attached to find the optimum location.

Here it is (without mount or frac):

IMG_20160825_121136063.jpg

2. Lift paving slabs to inspect and hope there's no other hidden issues.

IMG_20160825_122535251.jpg

IMG_20160825_123221605.jpg

Ha! Mobile phone camera auto white balance at play here.

Looking at the sand base, it doesn't look like much to dig.

3. So, let the dig begin!

IMG_20160825_142212688.jpg

IMG_20160825_145020187.jpg

D'oh! Someone decided to lay all this on a concrete slab....or so it would appear.

Quick text to my brother... 'Come over, and bring your SDS drill'.

20 minutes and a cuppa later and the SDS drill made light work of the concrete, which turned out not to be a slab, but looks like pads for the sand layer (spacing was even, I'm not a builder so don't know if this kind of thing is required or normal.)

4. Digging into some lovely soft earth, using just a spade. I've managed to fill about 15 rubble sacks so far with 2 trips to the local tip.

IMG_20160825_160820169.jpg

I'm going for a roughly 800mm diameter hole, which I'll create keying points into the side later on for the concrete to seep into.

5. Down to 500mm depth, that's enough for today. Rather than leaning over with a spade, I used a large trowel whilst sat on the edge of the hole - fairly comfortable and relatively quick to pull the dirt out. Nice clay at this depth too.

IMG_20160825_173943269.jpg

IMG_20160826_160624827.jpg

The bin not only gives an idea of depth at this stage, but also stops me falling in if i forget the hole's there!

6. Maybe dig a another 100-200mm depth...

7. Wait for pier to be delivered, with pre bent M12 stainless stud in the correct pattern for the pier base.

To be continued...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

A good start to the pier, most of the hard work done what part of pompey are you? (my old home town, used to live in copnor)

I'm at the bottom of the Eastern Road!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, after hearing the my pier is not ready yet (he's down on welders at the moment, so it's at the bottom of the queue!), no worrise though, as it's not costing me anything so can't complain and I'm happy to wait.

In the meantime, I thought I'd measure out for a basic obsy with 3 walls, to be put up against the fence.

It would have a basic hinged or roll off roof, as I was originallygoing to go the route of tarpaulin and dustbin to protect the mount, or basic box to begin with, but I think I might regret it.

Bearing in mind I'm hoping to move in a year or so, so I don't want to go to town on this, but needs to be easy to put up initially, and easy to take down again.

I put the mount in the rough position it would be on the pier once ready, and the largest scope that I'll be mounting, in order to get the footprint measured. Oh dear - this would be bigger than I thought!

IMG_20160925_150441969b.jpgIMG_20160925_153301380b.jpg

The scope is pointing south and the masking tape shows the minimum internal size, with a couple of inches to spare.

I could make it a lot smaller to house just the mount, but I didn't want to risk a random slew (it does happen!) without my knowing, to find out the scope has hit a wall.

With the worst case footprint sorted out, I decided to have a go at Sketchup to come up with the drawing. Having had working experience of both Solidworks and Pro Engineer, I understand what it's all about, so no brainer.

Here's a couple of options, frame + OSB3, or frame + shiplap cladding.

Obsy ideas sketch.PNG

The cladding undoubtedly looks nicer, but costs double that of the OSB3.

The open end will be up against the fence, or I'll board that end too, to make a reasonably sealed box.

There will need to be a door, so I was simply going to hinge a board like so:

Obsy ideas sketch 2.PNG

It will sit freely on the patio, but I may set it down with something - no drilling or cutting the slabs, any pointers?

The height of the walls will match the fence (2ish metres) as any lower is pointless due to the surrounding houses and trees.

Next is the issue of the roof....a simple roll on roll off is most likely, and that's next on the list.

Material for the fram and the OSB3 is looking like around £300, frame + cladding is nearer £500.

Seeing as it'll be coming down in a year or so, OSB3 painted with bitumen is probably wise?

Any other thoughts so far?

• 4 months later...

Well, it's been a long wait but I received this photo yesterday...

20170131_104139.jpg

The next step is to grind, finish, powder coat, gloss then spray with an industrial coating for lifetime protection.

Having now seen the pier, which is my own design, I'm now anxious to receive it and get the concrete poured.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It has arrived!

592d38e28dd87_IMG_20170530_1000153961.thumb.jpg.30be82deb7869e80ee5ce8892f0a9614.jpg

Very heavy and well finished with a weather proof coating over black powder coat.

I have a cement mixer to collect than weather permitting, I can get the concrete poured at the weekend and finally get this thing in place.

I'm also hoping that this will last a lifetime.

• Like 5

Looks a work of art Jon, weather forecast says dry for the weekend, good luck.

Dave

PS: is that your pic' thats appeared on the star party header ?

Edited by Davey-T

Thanks Dave - it does look nice, but it's how it performs that's the key.

Saturday looks to be the day to mix and pour, 1 chance to get it right!

Yes the image is mine, Grant asked me to use it, there are also some of my photos on the new SGLSP pages - you're in a couple of them, you're famous!

26 minutes ago, Jonk said:

Thanks Dave - it does look nice, but it's how it performs that's the key.

Saturday looks to be the day to mix and pour, 1 chance to get it right!

Yes the image is mine, Grant asked me to use it, there are also some of my photos on the new SGLSP pages - you're in a couple of them, you're famous!

Not that old codger ? that can't be me :eek:

Dave

• Like 1

On 30/05/2017 at 10:19, Jonk said:

It has arrived!

592d38e28dd87_IMG_20170530_1000153961.thumb.jpg.30be82deb7869e80ee5ce8892f0a9614.jpg

Very heavy and well finished with a weather proof coating over black powder coat.

I have a cement mixer to collect than weather permitting, I can get the concrete poured at the weekend and finally get this thing in place.

I'm also hoping that this will last a lifetime.

THAT looks like it was worth waiting since September.....a very patient man.

• Like 1

I actually started to draw this pier up about a year ago! It's been ripped off from a well known UK astro engineering firm ;)

I say ripped off, I basically copied the pier based on the reasons for the shape and customised the height etc. to suit my garden.

It was made by a supplier we use at work as a favour, based on him using excess materials and rescuing a 220mm diameter steel pipe from the waste.

As it didn't cost me anything, I was happy to wait.

Hopefully, it'll be vibration free - it's certainly going to be more than strong and rigid enough.

Or to coin a phrase, "strong and stable"!

• Like 1

Just now, Jonk said:

I actually started to draw this pier up about a year ago! It's been ripped off from a well known UK astro engineering firm ;)

I say ripped off, I basically copied the pier based on the reasons for the shape and customised the height etc. to suit my garden.

It was made by a supplier we use at work as a favour, based on him using excess materials and rescuing a 220mm diameter steel pipe from the waste.

As it didn't cost me anything, I was happy to wait.

Hopefully, it'll be vibration free - it's certainly going to be more than strong and rigid enough.

Or to coin a phrase, "strong and stable"!

I believe I recognise the design - as I just emailed them to see which adapter to use on their high end model.

The email bounced :(

I also drew up a custom adaptor plate, which has been laser cut from aluminium.

You could buy a brake disc and drill yourself? Probably the cheapest way.

Well, today was the day. Went out at 10:30 to prep and the 1st mix started at midday.

3 and a half hours later, the concrete was done. It was probably about a tonne of ballast in total.

I'm so glad I bought a cement mixer, I really don't think doing this without one would be much fun.

I set the studs down and tried to get it as level as possible, not as easy as I thought!

I'm glad it's finally done, I wouldn't like to do this every day, that's for sure, I'm not designed for it.

I ache all over from lifting bucket after bucket of ballast, and shovelling the ballast into the buckets.

Now to wait a week or 2 to lift the stud jig up and bolt the pier down.

I'll post some photos later.

• Like 3

On 01/06/2017 at 11:44, Jonk said:

I also drew up a custom adaptor plate, which has been laser cut from aluminium.

You could buy a brake disc and drill yourself? Probably the cheapest way.

Seems that company no longer trades - as of 2013.

Shame as that was a design I was thinking best of the three I have seen:

• rat cage: - too many points for flex, + easy to access mount securing bolt to loosen in required
  • rotatable top plate: - need to fit plate to mount then plate to pier, +very adjustable in Az after installation
  • owl hole: +less flex, +access to mount bolt

I'm not a DIY type tho'. 

Would you be willing to share the design?

I want to be able to have 200 lb on my pier so, may need adjustments.

Youngest daughters is MEng structural Engineer so may be able to press that knowledge in to serve - but she expects me to work most of it myself :(

I can't open my cad drawing on this PC, so will post an image of the pier and adapter plate drawing later.

The base is 400mm diameter, 20mm thick from memory.

Sorry for the delay, here are my drawings for the pier and adaptor plate for the AZ-EQ6.

The adaptor plate hasn't been made yet, so I can't tell if it's 100% correct, it should be ok.  I do know that the slotted holes for radial adjustment aren't ideal, but I figured better to bolt it down in a lot of places, rather than rely on the centre bolt only.

Those of you who know what the 6 degrees of freedom is will know what I mean!

5941a08352fa9_Pier2.thumb.png.f0d888c888db304f3e1fc755901ff32c.png5941a082538bc_Pier3.thumb.png.adca01e2064aa7d4ce7c6d420b2b28e6.png

I also drew it as it would be installed.

5941a084d4257_Pier1.thumb.png.346b68915a1254540e4c91ee928f8daa.png

The reason for the 220mm diameter, was because this was what was available to recycle - I wanted 300mm diameter pipe but no problem.

Here it is nearly ready to bolt down fully, but I'd rather wait for the concrete to reach 4 weeks of curing, just to be sure.

IMG_20170607_134337041.thumb.jpg.8f9ce670eff1ae2ca50aee8dee817867.jpg

IMG_20170607_142333119.thumb.jpg.0ef3ddd2e85196bc754234a1f7735b73.jpg  IMG_20170607_150430192.thumb.jpg.2b6df8edcb971754ac2083d6073c6a4a.jpg

Even finger tight it appears to be so much more solid than a tripod (no surprise really!), so I think I'll be very happy with it.

Next step, re lay 4 removed slabs. bolt down fully, pea shingle over the base and fit the mount, ready for the Milky Way season.

Oh yes, and maybe a wooden frame / roof.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The pier is bolted down fully and finished.

IMG_20170617_180945742.thumb.jpg.f549f42a91c8d6fc180e5b04f1d44435.jpg

IMG_20170617_181559772.thumb.jpg.b1dfb625122ee8cb8ff28e9b68f1b7d2.jpgIMG_20170624_201858498.thumb.jpg.1f8ac54fd8582c25d41340008feb4261.jpg

The mount is just bolted on at the moment as the adaptor plate is not ready.

Edited by Jonk
  • Like 3