Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

MartinFransson

IC1396 - first try with DSLR and 150-PDS

Last night I managed to get a few moments of clear sky but the conditions were not so great. Passing clouds and dew on my secondary. Anyway, managed to get 96 minutes and I´m really happy with the results considering so few subs. Had a airplane trail that didn´t go away fully. Need more subs! :) I think this one will really light up with 5-6 hours of integration time!

Canon EOS 550D (astromod), Skywatcher 150-PDS, HEQ5, Orion MMAG.

8*300s + 7*480s

Hope you like it!

Elephant_8x5-7x8min_o.jpg

• Like 15

My perfect point in case : with a just decent (no offense) DSLR and a 150mm, one can do superb stuff... if he knows how. Of course your mount is much better than mine but still. 

I still which I could find a tutorial for dummies taking it all step by step from setting the gear up to stacking the subs. Because this picture might not be professional standards (I can't really judge, my eye is not educated enough) but it looks just jaw dropping to me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FrenchyArnaud said:

My perfect point in case : with a just decent (no offense) DSLR and a 150mm, one can do superb stuff... if he knows how. Of course your mount is much better than mine but still. 

I still which I could find a tutorial for dummies taking it all step by step from setting the gear up to stacking the subs. Because this picture might not be professional standards (I can't really judge, my eye is not educated enough) but it looks just jaw dropping to me. 

Thank you! Since I don´t have the money for a CCD, I´m dedicated to producing the best I possibly can from my DSLR :)

There are good tutorials on Youtube. Just find separate ones for setting up, capturing data, stacking, postprocessing etc. For Photoshop work, check Doug Germans tutorials for example.

40 minutes ago, FrenchyArnaud said:

I still which I could find a tutorial for dummies taking it all step by step from setting the gear up to stacking the subs.

This is very good and might be what you are looking for.

• Like 1

Superb image - well done :)

The dew was very heavy here in SW England too last night.  I tried imaging IC1396 last night after imaging the NAN and Pelican but the sky had deteriorated by then and the dew was horrendous.  I'm going to have to rig up a dew heater or at least a dew shield on my lens.

49 minutes ago, Gina said:

The dew was very heavy here in SW England too last night.  I tried imaging IC1396 last night after imaging the NAN and Pelican but the sky had deteriorated by then and the dew was horrendous.

In Poole, I got three subs on the Veil and the clouds rolled in - big time! One of those evenings when I spent a lot more time setting up and taking down than I did imaging :(

• Like 1

Oh dear :(  Looking better for tonight ATM - let's hope so :)

It looks nice indeed.

which softwares did you use for calibration/integration and post-processing?

You said the airplane trail did not go away completely, does it mean you kept the subframes with airplane trails during integration, why? I'm guessing because you didn't have much subframes to begin with? (I just did my first light with my scope, and I'm trying to decide whether or not I should keep the few subframes which have airplane/sat trails too)

20 minutes ago, -ChoJin- said:

You said the airplane trail did not go away completely, does it mean you kept the subframes with airplane trails during integration, why? I'm guessing because you didn't have much subframes to begin with? (I just did my first light with my scope, and I'm trying to decide whether or not I should keep the few subframes which have airplane/sat trails too)

If you have enough subs, DSS will eliminate errors (like airplane trails, telephonce cables, etc) that only occur in the same place on one sub - for an example see this thread.

6 hours ago, -ChoJin- said:

It looks nice indeed.

which softwares did you use for calibration/integration and post-processing?

I use Pixinsight with Photoshop for the final touches. And you are right, I kept the bad subs because I didn´t have enough. As Demonperformer pointed out, plane trails and such go away when stacking with Sigma clipping and a large number of subs.