Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CLS clip filters, where to start?

MARS1960

I am considering purchasing some of the above.

Already i have an Astronomik CLS LP filter which works wonders but i would like try something other than just RGB, so was watching a video on what could be achieved with different filters.

So, i looked on the web and found CLS clip filters for Ha, OII and OIII, now these aren't exactly cheap so i don't want to make any bad decisions.

What would you guys recommend i buy first (if any) to use in my unmodified canon 60D?

I may also be investing in a modded (filter removal) 700D from Astronomiser in the near future.

TIA.

Mark.

12 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

My process would be a modded DSLR first, then Ha, 0111 then finally S11 as they wouldn't be a great deal of use on an unmodified DSLR 

I did wonder that hence the possible addition of a modded 700D, but the websites say 

• DSLR photography (original): Good, colour balance shifted but contrast enhanced
  • DSLR photography (astro modified): Very good, colour balance is near perfect

Would a UHC CLS be a good choice for for my standard camera?

2 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Do you have your heart set on the 700d? I have the 600d and couldn't be happier with it. Also got it from Juan. Could save you abit of money 

Not really, it's just that the cheapest new one that Astronomiser do with the vari angle LCD screen is the 700D.

Apologies if this is considered 'hijacking' a thread, but I have a slightly different question on the subject of clip filters:
I am considering an Hα one (for my modded Canon) and I see that Ian King has two different versions: 6nm for £251 & 12nm for £147. Presumably the 6nm would produce results that are in some way "better" - but better enough to be worth an extra £100?
Also, if I decided to add other NB filters (which do not have an advertised bandwidth, but my guess would be 12nm based purely on the price) would I be better getting an Hα filter that would match them?
In these circumstances, should I go for 12nm or 6nm?
Thanks (and apologies again if I am 'hijacking').

6 hours ago, MARS1960 said:

I am considering purchasing some of the above.

Already i have an Astronomik CLS LP filter which works wonders but i would like try something other than just RGB, so was watching a video on what could be achieved with different filters.

So, i looked on the web and found CLS clip filters for Ha, OII and OIII, now these aren't exactly cheap so i don't want to make any bad decisions.

What would you guys recommend i buy first (if any) to use in my unmodified canon 60D?

I may also be investing in a modded (filter removal) 700D from Astronomiser in the near future.

TIA.

Mark.

Interesting question, I agonized over this as for a long time and in the end decided that I was better off with a 7nm Baader 2" than the 12nm Clip at about the same price. The only reason I would chose the clip is if you are doing lots of wide field using camera lenses. In telescope applications I see the 7nm as being much better value for money and still useful if you decide to get a CCD in the future. However, if the camera is not modded... no point in getting the H-alpha in my opinion, SII would be even worse. You could go for an OIII.  So 100% spend the money on the mod first, or get a cheaper second hand canon that you are willing to risk modifying yourself.

55 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Apologies if this is considered 'hijacking' a thread, but I have a slightly different question on the subject of clip filters:
I am considering an Hα one (for my modded Canon) and I see that Ian King has two different versions: 6nm for £251 & 12nm for £147. Presumably the 6nm would produce results that are in some way "better" - but better enough to be worth an extra £100?
Also, if I decided to add other NB filters (which do not have an advertised bandwidth, but my guess would be 12nm based purely on the price) would I be better getting an Hα filter that would match them?
In these circumstances, should I go for 12nm or 6nm?
Thanks (and apologies again if I am 'hijacking').

From my research, 12nm vs 6nm or 7nm with a dslr comes down to whats limiting your exposure, noise... or light pollution. If you are light pollution limited the narrower the better, if you are thermal noise limited then going lower than 12nm will not help you much, this is likely the case unless you are cooling your DSLR or imaging in very cold weather. 12nm is also easier to focus with the camera screen, with a narrower filter you will need a laptop and an application like Backyard EOS as the stars will be too dim to focus using the camera screen. 

If someone is selling a NB filter and not giving its bandwidth I would stay well clear. One advantage of getting a full set from one provider is that they will be para-focal (focus will not change between filters). Finally if you want to use a camera lens then the clip is your only real choice and the 12nm handles fast optics <F4 much better.

Archived