Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

Langworthy

What's on around Yeovil

I have just moved to Yeovil. Are there any active groups within a 20-minute drive?

Thanks Robin. I'm a bit disappointed - not to mention surprised - that a FLO search suggests there's nothing between me and Sidmouth, Bath, Southampton and Cardiff!!! Is it really such an astronomical desert round here?

I apologise that this is totally unrelated to astronomy but if you get a chance - visit the Fleet Air Arm Museum now that you live down there

I went a couple of weeks ago and, having seem most of the major museums in this country this one is one of the best :-)

There's a interesting "Carrier Experience" part where they take  you through a simulated aircraft carrier - on a monumental scale (hangar size flight deck etc)

David

The ones that spring to mind are:

South Somerset Astronomical Society

Crewkerne and District Astronomical Society

Wells and Mendip Astronomers

Somerset Levels Stargazers

No idea how active the first is.  They apparently meet at a school in Taunton that I shall be visiting on Wednesday afternoon, so if I remember I'll try to find out more details about them.

James

3 hours ago, David_L said:

I apologise that this is totally unrelated to astronomy but if you get a chance - visit the Fleet Air Arm Museum now that you live down there

I went a couple of weeks ago and, having seem most of the major museums in this country this one is one of the best :-)

There's a interesting "Carrier Experience" part where they take  you through a simulated aircraft carrier - on a monumental scale (hangar size flight deck etc)

David

Don't apologise - I'm delighted by the number of cathedrals, beautiful towns,  and National Trust properties in the vicinity, and museums - Bovington Tank Museum is a bit of a trek but worth visiting anytime. As is TE Lawrence's Cloud's Hill.

3 hours ago, JamesF said:

The ones that spring to mind are:

South Somerset Astronomical Society

Crewkerne and District Astronomical Society

Wells and Mendip Astronomers

Somerset Levels Stargazers

No idea how active the first is.  They apparently meet at a school in Taunton that I shall be visiting on Wednesday afternoon, so if I remember I'll try to find out more details about them.

James

Thanks James - I'll follow these leads. Taunton's 45 mins away but Crewkerne's within easy striking distance.

Didn't realise it took quite so long to get between Taunton and Yeovil, but yes, Crewkerne probably is the obvious first choice.

James

4 hours ago, David_L said:

David

The majority of the structure for this exhibition is actually sections and parts of HMS Ark Royal VI which was scrapped in the late 70's