Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's on around Yeovil

Thanks Robin. I'm a bit disappointed - not to mention surprised - that a FLO search suggests there's nothing between me and Sidmouth, Bath, Southampton and Cardiff!!! Is it really such an astronomical desert round here?

I apologise that this is totally unrelated to astronomy but if you get a chance - visit the Fleet Air Arm Museum now that you live down there

I went a couple of weeks ago and, having seem most of the major museums in this country this one is one of the best :-)

There's a interesting "Carrier Experience" part where they take  you through a simulated aircraft carrier - on a monumental scale (hangar size flight deck etc)

David

The ones that spring to mind are:

South Somerset Astronomical Society

Crewkerne and District Astronomical Society

Wells and Mendip Astronomers

Somerset Levels Stargazers

No idea how active the first is.  They apparently meet at a school in Taunton that I shall be visiting on Wednesday afternoon, so if I remember I'll try to find out more details about them.

James

3 hours ago, David_L said:

I apologise that this is totally unrelated to astronomy but if you get a chance - visit the Fleet Air Arm Museum now that you live down there

I went a couple of weeks ago and, having seem most of the major museums in this country this one is one of the best :-)

There's a interesting "Carrier Experience" part where they take  you through a simulated aircraft carrier - on a monumental scale (hangar size flight deck etc)

David

Don't apologise - I'm delighted by the number of cathedrals, beautiful towns,  and National Trust properties in the vicinity, and museums - Bovington Tank Museum is a bit of a trek but worth visiting anytime. As is TE Lawrence's Cloud's Hill.

3 hours ago, JamesF said:

The ones that spring to mind are:

South Somerset Astronomical Society

Crewkerne and District Astronomical Society

Wells and Mendip Astronomers

Somerset Levels Stargazers

No idea how active the first is.  They apparently meet at a school in Taunton that I shall be visiting on Wednesday afternoon, so if I remember I'll try to find out more details about them.

James

Thanks James - I'll follow these leads. Taunton's 45 mins away but Crewkerne's within easy striking distance.

4 hours ago, David_L said:

David

The majority of the structure for this exhibition is actually sections and parts of HMS Ark Royal VI which was scrapped in the late 70's

Archived