stargazine_ep35_banner.thumb.jpg.a7c1791d7e682021778de0def357bdbb.jpg

Modding my new Skywatcher Skyliner 200p dobsonian

hello all

Just taken delivery of my Skywatcher Skyliner 200p on a dobsonian mount. Im actually in the process of assembling it now.

Come with me on a journey through space and time ( well time anyway) as I hopefully take the good stuff on this forum and mod the dobs.

Got as far as looking at the central bolt .IMG_20160825_164317[71208].jpg

Well that wont do,

The bolt measures 8.8mm , the inside diameter of the plastic tube about 9mm and the hole in the board is slightly more than that so when the clearances are combined  the assembly rocks like me Dad at a wedding..all over the place!

So job 1 fix the bolt to the baseboard

Congratulations on the new scope - I am sure you will love it! :grin:

One little piece of advice: If I were you I would fully assemble the scope and mount before modding anything for two reasons:

1. If something is missing or broken you will not be able to return the scope and your warranty will be invalid due to the modification

2. You might end up with a base that does not turn easily and smoothly if you tamper with that central bolt. Those parts were made by Chinese robots. They are identical to every other 200P Dob you will have seen reviewed here :wink:

• Like 2
Just now, DRT said:

Congratulations on the new scope - I am sure you will love it! :grin:

One little piece of advice: If I were you I would fully assemble the scope and mount before modding anything for two reasons:

1. If something is missing or broken you will not be able to return the scope and your warranty will be invalid due to the modification

2. You might end up with a base that does not turn easily and smoothly if you tamper with that central bolt. Those parts were made by Chinese robots. They are identical to every other 200P Dob you will have seen reviewed here :wink:

good advice and will do

• Like 1

If you do cut the baseboard at all - make sure whatever the mod the board is well sealed once finished. If moisture, damp, or water gets inside the board it'll play havoc with warping. Hth :)

• Like 4

I must stay now built  it looks great , really looking forward to using the new scope. I will add the right angled viewfinder and the Telrad from my 130p.

The focuser height appears good for seated viewing and its not so big that I cant move it.

Edited by sockgoblin
  • Like 1

Great stuff. 

Now, don't make the classic mistake and put both the 2" and 1.25" extension tubes in the focuser at the same time. Just one or the other or you will not be able to focus :wink:

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DRT said:

Great stuff. 

Now, don't make the classic mistake and put both the 2" and 1.25" extension tubes in the focuser at the same time. Just one or the other or you will not be able to focus :wink:

right ....think I may have already made that mistake...thanks again

No I hadnt , I actually hadnt noticed that there was a 2" extension still in the box

Edited by sockgoblin
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, brantuk said:

If you do cut the baseboard at all - make sure whatever the mod the board is well sealed once finished. If moisture, damp, or water gets inside the board it'll play havoc with warping. Hth :)

I think Ive seen your base cut for setting circles?  May I ask what did you seal the board with?

20160826_082651.jpgwell I think I have spoken too soon. the scope doesnt appear complete. see the pic below. I think that there should be srews and springs to adjust the mirror or am i missing something. appreciate help

The screws there adjust the mirror. Holes are for lock screws if you feel the need for them. If you want springs n' thumbscrews to adjust with, then you need to buy a set of Bob's Knobs - http://www.bobsknobs.com

Edited by Marci
13 minutes ago, Marci said:

The screws there adjust the mirror. Holes are for lock screws if you feel the need for them. If you want springs n' thumbscrews to adjust with, then you need to buy a set of Bob's Knobs 

I've never installed setting circles on my dobs though I have recommended them cos I've used other peoples scopes with them. However I'm currently making a rocker box for my LB and I will seal it with "Ronseal primer and undercoat" before I paint it with "Ronseal weatherproof paint". Nothing special about them - can be had from B&Q or any diy store. :)

• Like 1

The scope is assembled and looking great , turning the scope was a bit stiff even after loosening the central bolt . Ive added just one layer of milk carton washer between the teflon ring and the baseboard and the spin is now much improved. Ive also swapped the central locknut with the wing nut and thrust washer from my 130p  I can tighten the central bolt by hand if needed. ( i will replace them on the 130p later) Clear skies are forecast tonight, very excited.

Right angled viewfinder from the 130p added and extra telrad base added to the 200p so I can swap the telrad between the scopes.

I will be changing the phillips screws on the primary mirror for knurled screws next week. Very surprised to find the adjusting screws on the 200p are so poor , Ive been spoilt by the Heritage 130p which has knurled lock screws and big knurled adjusting screws and springs ( both scopes made by the same company) No tools required to collimate the 130p

• Like 1