Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

UK or EU large Dob manufacturers

I am curious as to who makes large Dobs in Europe. There is David Lukehurst in the UK, and as far as I can tell, that is about it. Sumerian are focusing on smaller ones now. Is there a UK equivalent of Websters in the US for instance? Does this mean most UK based large Dobs are home made?

24 minutes ago, MattJenko said:

I am curious as to who makes large Dobs in Europe. There is David Lukehurst in the UK, and as far as I can tell, that is about it. Sumerian are focusing on smaller ones now. Is there a UK equivalent of Websters in the US for instance? Does this mean most UK based large Dobs are home made?

there is a couple of companys in france but no good ones in the uk, orion optics uk make a 20" but how big do you mean.

there are a few talented people on here swampthing,moonshane and mapster. you could probably pm them. think shane is busy though.

not sure if im allowed to put this or mention names. feel free to move it admin/mods.

Thanks. I am not actively after one right now, just idly thinking of the future and what is currently available and if there was even a viable market for them like there appears to be in the US. I have seen a few 24"+ dobs at various star parties in the UK, and they all appear to be custom made as opposed to bought, and tend to be quite beautifully tailored to each individual.

I tend to only make things for myself these days and not as often as I'd like due to time restrictions.

Making a basic dob, even a large one, to a good standard is not that difficult with a positive attitude,  some reading and thought and perhaps the purchase of a few tools.

You could make the main frame excluding focuser, cell, truss tubes and connecting parts for about £150-200 if you have a router and jigsaw.

By then you will have a good idea of what's possible. You can get a cell made and buy the rest if necessary.

Otherwise things like telekit in USA are a middle ground but not cheap.

Bear in mind storage and mobility issues with scopes bigger than about 18" aperture.  They get big rather rapidly!

4 minutes ago, GuLinux said:

Probably there is not a very large market for them in Europe...

I think we're the worst continent, in terms of light pollution...:(

we still have the 4th darkest sky in the world though ( kerry in sw ireland) :icon_biggrin:

There is also:

https://sites.google.com/site/thedobsonfactory3/

and

http://www.skyvision.fr

If you can find a way around import duty charges, I found that an Obsession 15" shipped to the EU was very comparable in price to a Sumerian 16" delivered at the time that I purchased mine.  Oh to have 'drive to collect' access to the second hand market in the US!!

PS @faulksy is being very modest :) - the mirror cell he has recently crafted for his new dob would look at home on JP Astrocraft's website along with the creme-de-la-creme cells there!

10 minutes ago, niallk said:

There is also:

https://sites.google.com/site/thedobsonfactory3/

and

http://www.skyvision.fr

If you can find a way around import duty charges, I found that an Obsession 15" shipped to the EU was very comparable in price to a Sumerian 16" delivered at the time that I purchased mine.  Oh to have 'drive to collect' access to the second hand market in the US!!

PS @faulksy is being very modest :) - the mirror cell he has recently crafted for his new dob would look at home on JP Astrocraft's website along with the creme-de-la-creme cells there!

thanks niallk :icon_biggrin:

In the US, we have Obsession, Starmaster, Teeter, Webster, and many others that may or may not still be in business.  Then there are the premium dobs of the past that come up used like Tectron and Star Splitter.  I picked up a used 15" premium dob 200 miles from my house 17 years ago for about $2000 with Star Commander DSCs installed.  Today, I'd be lucky to get that out of it because everyone wants lighter, more compact telescope with goto. :cry:

Doing a search on CN threads, it appears there may be some Italian and French builders to consider on your side of the pond.

Archived