Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

how many targets a night?

I was reading through a thread on here about arget lists and one comment that got my attention was one that said that they only aim for bout 3 targets a session which took m aback a little bit. I tend to just go out with a list and work my way though them untill I get too cold! 

I suppose the 3 targets a night thing makes sense-it enables you to really tease out as much detail as possible from each target. As a beginner I suppose I am just being a bit keen to get onto the next target and see as much as I can in a night without really getting the most out of it.

How many targets do you guys go out planning to bag in a session? and how do you choose? would be interesting to hear from seasoned pros and beginers alike....

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From home, one session, one target?

Seriously, if I want a decent look at something,  i really need to get away from the house, my views are so restricted here due to the trees, buildings and street lights, though I can still make out the Milky way and M31, overhead, but away from home, darker site, these objects just stand out, but away from home  I'll look at anything, often with just the binoculars?
I have tended to set up the scope in the past from within my dob tent, and study just  one target for as long as possible,  there's no rush to see everything!
Stars don't really interest me through the telescope, just points  of light, no detail,
I've seen Jupiter, with the transit shadow of Io,  small,  but in perfect clarity only once since owning the scope, conditions were perfect that night, hopefully to be repeated this season!
M31 is a smudge, but stands out so well  away from light pollution. 

I don't have lists, I just have a target, and if its visible, brilliant, if its not  I`ll just see what else is up there, I don't use a torch or books or any apps whilst in the tent, as I'm trying to create as dark a situation for my eyes as is practically possible, eyepiece selection is done by touch/feel, and knowing where they are in the case. Its  really surprising just how bright it is, exiting the tent after a session, once the eyes have become truly dark adapted, the only light I see from within the tent is via the eyepiece.

For me it's between 1 and 100+ !

Seriously, I don't tend to have any hard and fast rules on this. I've had evenings where I've spent several hours on a single target and sessions where I've moved through dozens of deep sky objects.

The planets and the brighter deep sky objects do repay being studied for some time. Subtle details that at first were not visible can often reveal themselves or be teased out once the eye has become used to observing them under the conditions that pertain. Spending time on an object also gives the opportunity to observe using different magnfications and this process can often reveal different aspects to the target as well as the exit pupil alters. Seeing conditions can vary frequently and often so time on a target gives more chance to catch it at it's best for that session too.

I can certainly understand the urge to get some stuff "under your belt" so to speak when first starting out but don't forget to re-visit many of them and get fresh rewards :icon_biggrin:

4 to 6 is a good number of DSOs on a list for me, but it can sometimes take a while to find stuff as I've got a manual dob, so when I do find it I'll want to spend a bit of time on it (15-20 minutes).

not that I won't look at more: The moon, planets, some double stars, some easy to find dso that I've seen many times before so won't log these.

as long as i get 3 or 4 new objects, I'm normally happy.

Different strokes for different folks.  I am not sure I'd have the patience to spend all night on one object.  But I am not an experienced visual observer and I still struggle to find some targets.  This report might be a typical night for me - https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/266763-telrad-placement-where-on-earth-is-m81-part-ii/. I think I made that 18 targets, but, as I say, I don't really know what I am doing.

Yes, number of objects/night is a personal thing. I tend to spend more time at the eyepiece when observing planets and large nebulae to tease out detail by using different eyepieces. 

But since acquiring a large GoTo dob it's been a lot quicker finding targets so the objects/night ratio has increased considerably...

Large chunks of expensive glass in pipes, bits of  heavy ironmongery with wires hanging and an irresistible habit of looking up outside in the dark...

17 hours ago, John said:

For me it's between 1 and 100+ !

Seriously, I don't tend to have any hard and fast rules on this. I've had evenings where I've spent several hours on a single target and sessions where I've moved through dozens of deep sky objects.

The planets and the brighter deep sky objects do repay being studied for some time. Subtle details that at first were not visible can often reveal themselves or be teased out once the eye has become used to observing them under the conditions that pertain. Spending time on an object also gives the opportunity to observe using different magnficahwations and this process can often reveal different aspects to the target as well as the exit pupil alters. Seeing conditions can vary frequently and often so time on a target gives more chance to catch it at it's best for that session too.

I can certainly understand the urge to get some stuff "under your belt" so to speak when first starting out but don't forget to re-visit many of them and get fresh rewards :icon_biggrin:

What John said. :0)

I keep a custom document of 6x4 inches, ths matches some plain card I bought from somewhere, likely Staples. The card document has a table on it of 8 or 10 rows. I pick around  6 items to look for and make a few notes, very brief. That card then makes up the hoped for targets that night. Will say I have now the 6x4 table on an A4 sheet, A4 is just easier to print, but the card is still useful.

Might depend on how you intend to observe:

If say galaxies or planetry nebula you will be searching more (I cheat = have goto) and that takes more time. Alternatively you could decide to get all objects in one constellation, so then you are in general aimed at the right patch of sky and movement and locating is reduced = you cover more. Many I suspect just plan on 2, 3 or 4 things, then just enjoy a general informal look around.

I wonder how many think "I will just go look at Mars/M42/Jupiter/Anything, then see what else appears.". Quite a lot I suspect, one object is enough of an excuse to go out.

I enjoy star hopping , but I didn't enjoy the very short windows of clear skies in difficult light pollution. Getting GOTO meant much more could be enjoyed, especially binary stars in filled star fields. It's a bit like birdwatching, little benefit in ticking off lists when their behaviour is so much more interesting. Spending some time observing each target and sketching adds to the enjoyment. It's not the amount but the quality that matters. Some research will show history, cosmology and others' observations.

I still enjoy star hopping with a Dob under dark skies where it is so much easier to spot targets. It's still a thrill to pick out targets,

Nick.

combination of evolution and ipad makes every session different, particularly if the clouds roll in...then i look at the part of the sky where it is clear, find it on skysafari and try looking for something interesting. more improvisation.

6 hours ago, BGazing said:

combination of evolution and ipad makes every session different, particularly if the clouds roll in...then i look at the part of the sky where it is clear, find it on skysafari and try looking for something interesting. more improvisation.

I go along with this as regards an Evolution and I-Pad session, except I use the tablet for mere guidance and the HC for more dependable control. I will work my way down a list of "Best objects" from Sky Portal then skip those that are so indistinguishable that they offer no value (often many are skipped as UK skies can be like soup). I eventually find one worth observing. Then I spend a seriously long time studying my best of best quarry and photographing it, just in case I never see it again. On many UK nights my quest will end with the dependable Wild Duck Cluster, but occasionally it throws up new treasures.

I would just like to find one with the initial letter 'A'. But Andromeda Galaxy is always hidden behind my neighbours house or tree. So I have taken to starting with a different letter each night. When I get to 'W', I may fnd a target second attempt (but I might be fed up of one particular cluster by then!). Clear Skies?????....when!

Some targets are worth spending more time on than others.

If you are playing in the galaxy fields of Vergo / Coma, 30+ is fine. If you are exploring a big nebula or really faint Galaxy group, 3 or 4 is a good session.

I plan sessions meticulously using Sky Safari and various books, only to get side tracked by something shiny and go freestyle for the rest of the session. Many a happy hour spent ignoring plans. I'm enjoying revisiting Messier objects far more than I did when I was just cracking through the list.

Paul

I have found I enjoy focusing in on one 'target' at a time. I like to slowly sip at such, rather than gulping it up in a breakneck speed to move ahead. I feel I find more and more subtle nuances open up for me by approaching in a very relaxed fashion.

To each their own,

Dave

I tend to go through about a dozen or so in a session. I ought to spend more time looking at an object than I do, instead of gawping at it for a few seconds, ticking it off in my book and grabbing my atlas to look for the next one. Although with all the faint galaxies I've been looking at this year, given the quality of my skies, I'm not sure that I'll see any benefit by spending more time looking at an extremely faint blurr. Brighter galaxies and star clusters are another matter however. I will try to do better!

If I'm imaging, usually just one target, two if it's a really good (and long) night. 

If I'm double star observing (includes sketching), I think my maximum was six targets, but usually two to four.

If I'm visual observing of DSOs, up to ten targets (if it's a long night)

I have been known to hunt down as many as 30 new objects in a session (Coma/Virgo or Sco/Sag is like shooting fish in a barrel, after all). I divide my observing time into "hunting" and "browsing". During hunting mode, I try to find new stuff, and once found, I will spend 5-10 minutes verifying the find, and making notes on the shape, brightness and structure. For many galaxies, there is not much to be seen with an 8" scope, so 5-10 minutes suffices. When I feel conditions might not be optimal for the detected target, I make a note for a revisit. In browsing mode I do a mix of visiting "old friends", like M13, M57, or M42, and spend as much time as I want studying them, or just admiring their beauty. I also use browsing mode to revisit objects found recently and marked for further scrutiny. I might switch modes depending on what I feel like a number of times. Even in browsing mode I might visit a surprising number of objects, because some fields are so crowded (7-8 galaxies in one FOV in Virgo e.g.)

Varies hugely for me.

I have a sub-list of targets from the Herschel 400 that are visible to be observed this usually stands at 30 to 50 so this is my guide for the night but with this I will observe other objects that are perhaps nearby and also a good smattering of Messier objects.

What I actually get though and observe will depend on the difficulty of the H400 objects and the amount of time in the session which will only end due to weather or end of darkness if not a work day.

So I'd say somewhere between 10 on a bad night to 30 or more on a good one.

..........from my previous thread, it may take me quite a while to complete a new task I have in mind, when  the  weather and seeing conditions allow?

I do  like the small  PHILIP'S  guide books  on astronomy, and one of them by Robin  Scagell , 101 Objects To Spot In The Night Sky, states its a fun guide aimed at younger astronomers who want to see something EVERYTIME they go out, so this seems  a good place to start something new, but I may have to  increase my nightly target count in order to complete the task in less than 101 nights!

I have a rough list but the amount that I actually look at varies every time. Under dark skies I spend more time looking at DSOs because you can see so much more detail. Some objects are more interesting than others.

I usually only have 3 or 4 planned targets, whether they are new ones or familiar ones and I tend to spend a lot of time on targets once found. 

The most targets I've ever listed for one session was 17, but this was when on holiday and having the time to go out and not worry about getting up in the morning - which I could never normally do.

Mmmm. I must say that I like the idea of working through one constellation a night. Sounds like a great way to learn your way around the sky aswell.  Is there any programmes that can give you a list of objects and a detailed plan of each constellation? I have sky safari and stelarium but any others that people would recommend?

we pulled an all-nighter on friday, so here was a rough list for 7.5 hrs of observing under Bortle 5 sky (SQM-L 20.06)

Cat’s eye nebula, M92, M13, Epsilon Lyra, M57, Blinking planetary NGC 6826, Veil, Double cluster, Pleiades, Andromeda with M101 and M32), M52, NGC 7789, NGC 663, Owl cluster, NGC 436, M38, M36,  M39, M76, Uranus, M42

I tried a couple more that I could not find. My somewhat slow tempo was due to the fact that I often invited two AP friends to have a look at this or that. Plus two coffee breaks. :)

On 9/3/2016 at 08:38, popeye85 said:

Mmmm. I must say that I like the idea of working through one constellation a night. Sounds like a great way to learn your way around the sky aswell.  Is there any programmes that can give you a list of objects and a detailed plan of each constellation? I have sky safari and stelarium but any others that people would recommend?

Sticking to targets in one constellation is something I often do.

I've got sky safari and stellarium and some others - I think Sky Safari is the best - you can save observing lists in specific sequences.

Another useful method for finding things manually is to pick an easy to find guide star (e.g. Vega, Arcturus, Deneb, Altair, etc) and stick to targets within a circle 10 degrees or less around it, e.g. a couple of doubles, a couple of clusters, a couple of galaxies/pn's/etc depending on what is in the vicinity.

This makes for an easy time finding things. 10 degrees means only 2 fields of view in a finder scope so not too much hopping around, and with everything close together once you've found one thing you're familiar with the vicinity for the next targets. 

The popular targets like the Messiers are great but there's a lot of good targets that are interesting but not so well known (especially doubles and variables), so any given guide star/point will often have a lot of interesting stuff very nearby.

Yet another method is to plan a route map where each new target will fit within the same finder scope field of view as your last target and so you can more easily "walk" across a series of targets without having to find each one from scratch. I.e. don;t just have a target list, have a planned target sequence. You can cover quite a lot of ground this way.

Archived