Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nearest star has earth sized planet

reddoss

14 minutes ago, DRT said:

Man alive!

Do you think the Mo-bot might have been a secret signal to invade? :eek:

I think the evidence is mounting, Derek, we've all noticed his beyond human ability when it comes to running, plus it's not a heart shape he's making with his arms, it's a radio antenna! :grin: 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, DRT said:

And their planet's survival is definitely dependent on whether or not we decide to turn up :rolleyes2:

Indeed. It is also difficult to believe the will be biological compatibility.

Our cold virus could be like ebola to them and vice versa.

Given the sun to planet distance, the planet is most likely tidally locked. This would lead to weird weather patterns, assuming it had an atmosphere. On top of that it's likely to receive 10 times the radiation the Earth does, so, without an exceptional van Allen belt it would be factor 500 all day :)

Not somewhere I fancy taking shore leave ;)

The postage stamp size space ship is an interesting idea for reaching 0.2 c, but at that speed encountering a single atom could destroy the craft. 

I wonder what the probability is that mankind will ever reach another star system. Our technology continues to improve, but unfortunately, we've got nuclear war, the singularity, and climate change as potential game stoppers.

59 minutes ago, Jeff-Colorado said:

The postage stamp size space ship is an interesting idea for reaching 0.2 c, but at that speed encountering a single atom could destroy the craft. 

I wonder what the probability is that mankind will ever reach another star system. Our technology continues to improve, but unfortunately, we've got nuclear war, the singularity, and climate change as potential game stoppers.

Its often said that we went from the Wright brothers to the Moon landing in less than 70 years, but defining the start point of our technology curve is a moot point, when did the age of 'flight' really commence?  

Unfortunately many significant advances in the technology curve have come about from conflict and war, the jet engine and modern rocketry being examples that immediately come to mind; both were developed and implemented in less than a decade, but we haven't really had a major jump since then.  Scramjets and hypersonic planes have been in the design and development phase for years (saw somewhere that India had launched/ran a scramjet rocket this week?), but they aren't going to get us into outer space.

6 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Space is very big but maybe also very small, the whole universe could be smaller than an atom perhaps there are other ways to travel.

Alan

As long as I don't have to sit on the floor :grin:

Dave

Archived