Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astropedia!

We would like to announce a new member to the SGL family.

You've all heard of Wikipedia, well we have ASTROPEDIA.

Astropedia uses the same software as Wikipedia and can be used to navigate in exactly the same way, there will be internal as well as external links.

Astropedia is an ongoing project. It will take many months even years to fully populate, as time goes by certain users will be able to edit existing entries as well as add new ones.

Generally speaking blue links indicate that the target page / site exists and red links do not. As pages are created the red links are automatically changed to blue.

For every new entry that changes a red link to blue, several new red links are created - it's a bit like painting the "forth bridge".

Anyone can browse through the information on Astropedia, but creating new entries and editing existing entries is currently disabled. Due to time constraints I am unable to keep an eye on the whole thing if I open it up so that anyone can create and edit entries - so I'm looking for a team of around a dozen people. If interested then please let me know via PM.

We would welcome suggestions for improvement as always, but we are fairly restricted with layout and navigation suggestions as we have to stay within the confines of the software.

http://astropedia.stargazerslounge.com

Regards

Ant

on behalf of SGL.

Looks like this is going to be a great resource Ant. I'd like to thank you and SGL for not just coming up with this great idea, but also having the gumption to get it up and running. :thumbright:

I salute you.

phillc :salute:

hi guys a huge well done and pat on the back this is going to be a fantastic additional resource for everybody to use and once again shows just what a brilliant forum SGL is thank you all for your continuing hard work and effort it really is appreciated regards

Pete :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: SGL numero uno

Well done guys, for a great idea and the sheer energy to take it on. This is potentially a huge but very rewarding task. I am looking forward to seeing the project take shape.

My hat is raised to you. :salute:

Tom

Like the others I think it's a great idea.

A gentle word of caution and encouragement though ...

The concept of wikipedia relies on it's open access platform for a whole community to both contribute to and moderate. If you want astropedia to be a success I would strongly urge you to allow the community to have editing rights so we can begin contributing to the content there.

I understand your concerns about policing it, but my personal view would be to open it up now and then remove access IF there is a problem.

Wikipedia has a 'report this article' feature I believe which will allow any of us in the community to flag up anything untoward to the team of moderators.

I write not as someone having a go, but as a keen supporter of what you're doing and wishing to see it go from strength to strength. I also write as someone who for about 12 years now has been professionally involved in web design and hosting (majoring on creating and maintaining online communities), and a a church minister has worked tirelessly to convince churches and christian organisations about the positive benefits of open online communities, and often having to work hard at combatting people's fears about "what might happen" in order to help them achieve their much better dreams about "what could be!".

I hope that helps.

To start with, what about only allowing SGL members with x number of postings creation/edit rights to Astropedia? I know it's in no way fool proof but it may go some way to elliminating rogue postings/edits.

You don't want to be excluding potential 'experts' from creating or editing a subject as that would surely defeat the object of Astropedia. I suppose there's a fine line but at the end of the day the more people involved the better it will be(?)

Great idea though as I've lost count of the number of times i've read stuff in articles and it's gone way over my head. Can you make one of the first rules 'plain english only' please? :shocked:

Andrew

I don't know really, up to a week or so ago it was going to be a anyone can edit/add...

But after a member (who had a couple of hundred posts) of SGL deliberately deleted 13 of his posts from several threads, it's clear that not everone cares as much about SGL as we had hoped.

I understand where your coming from and do partially agree, but for the time being we are going to continue with the "selected team" route, and we can reveiw it again in a few months.

For all those that have PM'd me already, I'll reply today / tonight - cheers.

We'll also be looking at ways for people to suggest links and content.

Ant

Ant,

Is the site being sponsored by FLO? If so, should there be a clear link? Also, it would be useful to have a direct link back/into SGL.

John

The whole of SGL is sponsored by FLO. Astropedia is just one small part of SGL.

I will sort out a link back to the main forum from there.

Ant

• 1 month later...

Archived