SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello all!

stanford__

Good evening/morning (for our American friends) 

I thought it would be a good idea to post here to say thanks, I've recently got into astronomy (and hopefully getting into astrophotography soon) and I've googled so many questions and queries and found the answers here.

I'm from the very light polluted Birmingham, UK and I'm looking forward to getting some help before buying equipment and meeting lots of new people with a similar interest!

Danny 

Thank you both for the welcomes. 

I will be utilising the forums for advice and asking a few questions myself shortly, but stage 1 is buying the HEQ5 Pro mount, I've had my eye on this mount for a few weeks and read nothing but good things. Once I have that I'll be asking advice regarding a retractor for it ☺️

I've been browsing some of the 'beginner' photos in the forum and I'm completely amazed, it's very exciting to think I could get images similar to these very soon! 

Just looking for some of the gear (and a bit more of an idea!) ;)

Hi Danny and welcome to SGL - If you think you are going to be interetsed in specifically deep sky objects (galaxies, nebulas) as opposed to planetary (different kit is required for these two for example) then make a purchase of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' available from the First Light Optics website in their book section. Something of an imagers bible, read it once, twice and thrice and don't spend a penny until you know what you need and why..... it will save you a lot of money and angst in the long run :)

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Thanks again for all the welcomes, it's appreciated! 

2 hours ago, swag72 said:

Hi Danny and welcome to SGL - If you think you are going to be interetsed in specifically deep sky objects (galaxies, nebulas) as opposed to planetary (different kit is required for these two for example) then make a purchase of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' available from the First Light Optics website in their book section.

I will be going into deep sky objects and the book is right at the top of my (very extensive) 'to buy' list! As you're definitely not the first (and I presume won't be the last) to recommend this to me! 

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update, tomorrow is the day I order my new HEQ5 Pro SynScan + Sky Watcher 80ED Pro!

I've done a hell of a lot of research and think this is the best set-up for me.

Hope to see some of you at the starparty which I will be booking this weekend also!

Danny

Archived