Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC7000 with Camera

robindurant

hello,

just saw your picrture, and thought that i might point out that you took lots of images but they were not long enough. it is difficult to get NGC7000 with a 350D and with exposures less than 2mins.

what is the f stop of your lens. a f/5 apo needs 2.5mins to get it. if the lens is faster than this then you can reduce the length of the exposure by the ratio of the Squares. example( if the f stop is f/5 and the lens f/2 then 5 = 25 & 2 = 4 then you take the ratio 4/25 and multiply the result by the 2.5mins to get 0.4 mins, the length of the exposure needed).

on the image it's self the field looks good and i would be intersted to see how you get on with longer exposures

ally

Hi Ally

The fact that my main astronomic equipment is packed away waiting my new Obs being completed I could only use my small Goto which will not take subs over 45 seconds without star trailing, With my main gear I would obviously use longer exposures, last night was just a bit of fun rather than watching TV.

Robin

Hi Robin,

theres nothing wrong with 45 second subs i take most of my images using 45 second subs due to the lp and i still get decent results only thing that lets me down is my lack of knowledge in photoshop.

regards chris

I used to have the same problem with LP Neo, (well still do).

Using shorter exposures, even lots and lots of them never really seemed to bring out the fainter detail, I think maybe the chips need exposing longer than that.

I now have a little more success using a modified camera, but the main thing is the CLS filter. Although the LP still affects the exposure, it does seem to yield something useable. Certainly it seems that 10 x 3min exposures gives better results than 30 x 1min, especially on nebula detail and things like M31. A bit later today I will post the latest picture I have been doing, which has been under a really bright moon and loads of LP, if it looks ok of course.

Robin, nice pic, these type always make we wish I lived on a remote mountain top... looking forwards to the results of your efforts with the obs, am thinking of doing one myself maybe.

TJ

Archived