Push To system

Maged

Hello,

I just noted about a push to system for Dobsonian telescopes. I wanted to know if anybody used those and have any thoughts about how useful this system is? I feel I need a system like that as I am struggling to find some objects due to light pollution  so it's sometimes hard to star hop.

Also if there are any recommendations about models or suppliers of this system that would be great.

My scope is a 10" F5.6 Dobsonian.

I used the old HTC Android Desire HD with a Star map app, which allows you to follow an arrow to your target?

I can't remember how accurate it was, or whether  the GPS was affected by sticking the phone to the side of a metal telescope, but the basics were there. 
I have since returned to an iphone, ( seemed a necessity for my Infotainment system?)  and although I have installed a few apps, I have not had the weather or time this season to re-asses its worth as a guide/push_to for the scope.

Hi Charic,

This system i'm referring to detects your coordinates and you align it by directing the scope manually to a couple of bright star then you enter the name of the object from the system and manually direct the scope to the object location.

Yes I use Astro Devices Nexus system with both my dobs. It's excellent and very useful. http://www.astrodevices.com/products/Nexus/Nexus.html

You need to attach two encoders to the mount, and these plug into the little Nexus unit. Then connect wirelessly to the Nexus with an iPad, phone or similar device. The position of your scope is shown on the screen in Sky Safari and you just push the scope to the desired target. It's very easy and very accurate. :) 

same as scooot above, he introduced me to it. its the most accurate system i have used and it stays aligned all night, all for around £300, 2 encoders and off you go, and no noise

this is the azy encoder

DSC_0243_1.jpg

and heres the alt encoder

DSC_0242_1.jpg

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I've used the AstroDevices system with SkySafari before and can highly recommend it. Very easy to use, accurate and makes observing so much more enjoyable and relaxed

dead right stuart, why bother with maps when you can just look it up on skysafari :hiding:

did you use safari pro 5, just wondered if i should get it ?

5 minutes ago, faulksy said:

dead right stuart, why bother with maps when you can just look it up on skysafari :hiding:

did you use safari pro 5, just wondered if i should get it ?

I used 4 at the time I had my Sumerian Mike. 5 is pretty good though, although I forget exactly what changed, it seemed to have some nice extra features.

Just now, Stu said:

I used 4 at the time I had my Sumerian Mike. 5 is pretty good though, although I forget exactly what changed, it seemed to have some nice extra features.

just wondered what 5 was like with the push to, heard it crashs a lot. cheers stu

8 hours ago, faulksy said:

just wondered what 5 was like with the push to, heard it crashs a lot. cheers stu

Sky Safari 5 works fine with it Mike, can't remember it crashing. I think the main benefit from the "push to" aspect is you can do more than two star alignments. I do 4 sometimes, adding one high up and one low down as my 16" isn't quite so accurate as my 10" with it. Maybe I think because of a bit of flex or movement when I push and pull it about. Could also be because I tend to use the same eyepiece when I start, so the fov with the 16" is smaller due the longer focal length.

For information here's some screen shots I took tonight to show the accuracy of the Nexus with my 16". I'd did a four star alignment using Polaris, Altair, Alpheratz & Vega. The three circles representing where my scope was thought to be pointing are  0.5°, 1°  & 2°. So in the screen shots I have centered the target in the eyepiece and the cross hair in Sky Safari is pointing to where it thinks the scope is pointing. my 10" solid tube is more accurate, more or less spot on all the time. :)

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I have today installed a Sky Commander system on my OO 14 inch dob - I'll let you know how I get on!  But I have in the past used a TeleVue Sky Tour with a small refractor and really enjoyed the simplicity and speed (much faster and quieter than a motorised goto system).  The Sky Tour wasn't compatible with software control though, so I'm looking forward to an extra dimension with the Sky Commander :smile:

Helen

15 minutes ago, Scooot said:

For information here's some screen shots I took tonight to show the accuracy of the Nexus with my 16". I'd did a four star alignment using Polaris, Altair, Alpheratz & Vega. The three circles representing where my scope was thought to be pointing are  0.5°, 1°  & 2°. So in the screen shots I have centered the target in the eyepiece and the cross hair in Sky Safari is pointing to where it thinks the scope is pointing. my 10" solid tube is more accurate, more or less spot on all the time. :)

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

i now have skysafari pro 5, cant wait to use it next week on my new dob

I use Argo Navis and am very happy with it, finding it very good & accurate (targets often within or just near the edge of the 0.29° fov of a 7T6 Nagler at 280x in my 15"). It allows me to forego a finderscope which would require counterbalance weights, using only a Telrad for initial 2 star alignment. I use it in a stand alone mode, but it can be interfaced to Sky Safari, Stellarium etc.  I must set this up sometime :)

I think the Astro Devices Nexus system looks very good indeed - saving you the cost of the AN unit, if you have a tablet with a very dim screen.  I would be very tempted to go this way if I was making the decision again.  I originally bought the AN unit + encoder kit directly from Wildcard in Oz for my SW 250px, and have an additional set of encoders on my 15" ... just swapping the AN unit over.

On 8/24/2016 at 01:18, faulksy said:

i now have skysafari pro 5, cant wait to use it next week on my new dob

Please share the experience. 

another question does the nexus computer come alone and you have to buy the encoders separately or encoders are included?

29 minutes ago, Maged said:

Please share the experience. 

another question does the nexus computer come alone and you have to buy the encoders separately or encoders are included?

all included just add your phone/pad

• 2 years later...

I'm sorry for reviving a relatively old thread but I was wondering whether anyone knows where to find such 'push to' systems in UK / EU online shops? I'm considering getting one for my dob and so have scoured TS, Astroshop and 365astronomy - the closest such piece of equipment I could find was this, which seemed slightly on the expensive side...

https://www.365astronomy.com/astro-devices-nexus-dsc-advanced-digital-setting-circles-computer-with-wifi.html

@MetroiD

Rupert at Astrograph is Serge's Prime UK Retailer. But his price is similar to the 365 one. I think this is because the goods have had an "uplift" in price as shipping and duty has to be factored in...

Nexus DSC http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=11737062 or the Nexus II http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=11737092

But I've always bought directly from Serge in Australia. 

On one occasion I used Serge's Courier of choice, DHL, as I didn't have any contacts in Melbourne flying to UK. 4 days door to door...

I would go direct if I was you, as you'd be paying for only 1 lot of shipping and associated duty / import costs. Email Serge. he's exceptionally helpful and will bend over backwards to help...

Archived