Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion optics 12" Newtonian with few DIY mods.

Guest Tuomo

Hi!

So this is my 12" Dobsonian with few mods. First I attached carry handle so I can easily carry my ota around. I find this mod VERY useful. Then I attached small neodymium magnets behind motor focuser remote and object locator. Makes everything easier and things are always at my hands reach. Lastly I attached quickfinder base to OTA with screws and flocked whole scope with DC-fix velour. I wanted everything to look clean. I really hate straps and stickers. Oh! and secondary collimation screws are hardware store-made. They could not find any m4 thumbscrews so guy behind desk told me that he could easily make 3 thumbscrews by using different parts. Seen better ones but it works.

Is there any chance to replace my finder with widefield 60-80mm frac? I think my OTA could handle added weight. OFC I could buy new tripod mount later but as a starter? Is it just stupid idea? As you can see I really dont need RACI because of my quickfinder and 31mm Baader.

IMG_20160822_161001.jpg

IMG_20160822_161619.jpg

IMG_20160822_161727.jpg

ps. " As a guide, use 1-2 rolls for a six-inch f5 Newtonian, 2-3 rolls for an 8-inch, 3-4 for a 10-inch and 5-6 for a 12-inch. " I easily managed to cover my entire OTA with 4 rolls of velour. I suggest guys at FLO rethink that guide. 

Ahh. True, my bad. Mixed with brands. I take Orion optics is superior over usa made as optics in usa-version are made in china?

1 minute ago, Tuomo said:

Ahh. True, my bad. Mixed with brands. I take Orion optics is superior over usa made as optics in usa-version are made in china?

I think in general the Chinese optics are pretty good these days but there is obviously variability and some duff ones get through. OO are likely to be more consistent, and the 1/8th and 1/10th certified mirrors are tested to be of a high quality.

It's still an ongoing debate whether you can tell the difference though!!

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think in general the Chinese optics are pretty good these days but there is obviously variability and some duff ones get through. OO are likely to be more consistent, and the 1/8th and 1/10th certified mirrors are tested to be of a high quality.

It's still an ongoing debate whether you can tell the difference though!!

Ok. Thanks for the info.

46 minutes ago, Tuomo said:

Orion (USA) scopes and accessories are often made by a company called Synta who are the same manufacturers that make and own the Celestron and Skywatcher brands. The 12" scope that you own has the same optics in it that the 12" Skywatcher dobsonians have as I understand it. The Intelliscope "push to" system is only found on Orion (USA) scopes though and has a good reputation.

As Stu says, the chinese produce pretty good stuff these days so there should be no worries on that !

I always rather liked the gunmetal grey colour scheme of the Orion (USA) branded scopes. It looks businesslike and purposeful :icon_biggrin:

Archived