Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Hello

I have recently bought an Orion XT8 dobsonian (f/5.9, focal length 1200mm) which comes with a 25mm Orion Sirius Plossl (AFOV 52°). At the moment, this is my only eyepiece.

I need advice on which eyepiece(s) to buy for both planetary and deep sky observing. Because my budget is only about £150 (~200$) and I would like to buy a high quality eyepiece which I can continue using as I get more experience and better equipment, I thought it would make sense if I only bought one eyepiece, preferably with a low enough focal length for some planetary observing but a high enough one for smaller deep sky objects.

I know this is slightly unrealistic but for the time being I don't mind being able to see very little detail on Jupiter/Saturn and Mars as a very small red dot. I was considering buying a Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom, but the low field of view at 24mm (50°) put me off slightly as it renders the eyepiece useless for me at that focal length (as I already have the 25mm plossl).

The ES82 series seems like a good option and I was considering getting the 8.8mm or the 6.7mm. 

Thank you,

Ben

Hi Ben, your thinking on the ES 8.8 and 6.7mm is good, exactly the ones I chose, however, if you wear glasses the eye-relief is a bit tight and you will not see the whole view - just thought I would mention this little detail.  I am not keen on zooms myself, I prefer fixed focal lengths.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By A McEwan
      Selling some accessories. A couple of Meade DS 4000 Super Plossls, 9.7mm and 26mm. Both in bolt cases and in great condition.
      £15 each or £25 for the pair.
      Skywatcher 6x30 finderscope with caps and mount. Some scuff marks on the mount foot, as to be expected. Optics nice and clean.
      £17.
      Postage at cost.

• By Piero
      Selling this 32mm TV plossl with smooth barrel and TV eyeguard extender. It comes with lens caps and box. The box is rather ruined, but the eyepiece is in very good condition. Lenses are mint, 2 or three dots on the barrel.
      Asking for £100, which includes RM 1st class signed-for. Payment via bank transfer or PayPal as friends.

• By borapanda
      Hi everyone!
      I have a Celestron Astromaster 114 eq (114/1000mm), and I do use it whenever I can, but I'm still quite the newbie when it comes to observing.
      My point is, I'd like to observe the planets, but  I dont't think the standard eyepieces that came with my telescope (10 mm and 20 mm) are powerful enough for that. For reference, the "furthest" I could see were the rings of Saturn , but they were very small and faint too.  
      Are there any specific eyepieces you could recommend? :) And of course, any tipps and advice are also very much appreciated.
      Thanks, Sophie.
    • By VirtualAstro
      Hi Everyone
      I need some eyepiece recommendations.
      I currently own a set of Meade Series 4000 UWA and SWA eyepieces. These are my pride and joy and are awesome eyepieces. Much better than the new Series 5000 range.
      I've not been keeping up with equipment news and reviews for a few years as I prefer my current eyepieces.
      However, I'm getting back into public observing events and was hoping you could recommend good UWA eyepieces that won't break the bank. I can't afford Televue and I wouldn't want to use works of art such as Televue or my Meade eyepieces for public use.
      What are the current good Ultra Wide Angle eyepiece offerings? What should I look out for and what should I avoid?
      Cheers
    • By Ewan
      Not many chances of Solar Imaging this year so far but caught this one.
      AR2741 from the 12th late afternoon
      AZEQ6-GT
      152mm Technosky Refractor @ f5.9
      135mm Baader D-ERF
      Daystar Quark Chromosphere + Eliminator
      PG IMX174
      5862 Frames, 4Ms 30 second capture @ 195Fps 1024 x 768 Mono16
      Best 45% Frames stacked in AS!3, ImPPG then tweaked in PS
      Atb

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.