Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR clip in filters

As per the title is it worth spending the money on a clip in filter for dslr that has not been modded. They are expensive and I am sure there are other things I could spend money on but dont know enough about them.

I do not really have any light pollution in my area.

I cannot use a normal 1.25" filter as I cannot use my barlow with the lens removed as I will not be able to get focus.

cheers all

Spill.

Hi,

yes it is worth it, as it helps  massively with LP, BUT with an unmodded camera you will get a green tinge to your images, which can be processed out.

The CLS filters are designed for use in modded cameras, and give almost perfect colour balance on a modded camera

but I assure you it will help big time with LP, you just need to alter the red Chanel in post processing to even up the colour balance.

Bill

5 minutes ago, spillage said:

Thanks for the info Bill.

Do you know if I could use this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/explore-scientific-cls-nebula-filter-1-25-2-inch.html (the 2" version) between the focuser and the t ring adapter?

Yes, but you would need the 2" version.

you would be better with the Astronomik CLS clip in filter really, more expensive but superb.

The CLS filters are so so much better in a modded camera. I found it annoying before the mod and indispensable after. I would also say that a modded 450d will kick the ass out of even the most modern and expensive un-modded DSLRs. I grantee you that you will get more bang for you money from butchering a 80pound camera off e-bay yourself and removing its filter (without replacement filter) then you will from spending more on a CLS filter. Especially as you are saying you have low light pollution anyway. After you have have a h-a sensitive camera you can buy a CLS filter at a later stage and enjoy the experience without messing about with processing out color imbalance. Doing this will gain you at least 5 times the sensitivity to H-A.

Archived