Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
The Wizard Nebula
An emission nebula 7,200 light years away and my first proper project of the new imaging year.
Really happy with it as I’ve had a steep learning curve with new kit so really pleased to see this image come together. It’s also the first time I’ve imaged it.
72x180s subs collected over 2 nights 24/25th August in my Bortle 7 back garden, Whitley Bay, England
Calibrated with darks, flats and dark flats in DSS and processed in SiriL and Photoshop.
Lacerta 72mm f/6 APO
ZWO ASI1600MC Pro at -15C gain 200
ZWO 60mm guide scope
ZWO ASI120MM-S guide camera
Altair Astro 2” Tri Band OSC Filter
Data collected in APT and guided with PHD2
The Needle in RGB
A beautiful edge on spiral galaxy in the constellation Coma Berenices, around 38,5 million LY from earth.
Investigations with the Spitzer IR telescope suggests that the galaxy may actually be a barred spiral galaxy with an inner ring as well.
Finally got around to processing my data on NGC 4565 from March.
This was one of my "test projects" from this year, where I only shot R-G-B and created a synthetic luminance master from those frames.
I think that the most efficient way is still to shoot pure luminance and then just enough R-G-B to get the color you want. Unless one is imaging star clusters, then I think it is totally fine to skip luminance altogether and get as much color data as possible.
I will try to do a "super luminance" where I add the R-G-B frames to the luminance stack at some point as well.
Shot with my Hypercam 183m V2 and totalling aroung 4,2 hours of data.
More info here: https://www.astrobin.com/412663/B/
Comments and critique is always welcome.
I decided to put this post in "Getting started with imaging" as it may be interresting for beginners thinking if luminance is worth it.
Hi everyone - it's been a while!
This has been on my hard drive for almost 2 months and I finally got round to processing it...it was quite optimistic of me to try and image this from my Bortle 7-8 back garden, but I gave it a go! While the nebula itself is clear to see, all those gorgeous dust clouds surrounding it were extremely hard for me to capture from my location without a lot more integration time. I think I'll head to dark skies to capture this one next time, along with some more focal length!
LRGB shot with ASI1600MM Pro and WO Z73. 2.9 hours of integration time.
Full details here.
Thanks for looking!
This is a recent edit of data I collected back in January. Image is taken with a Canon 450Da and Canon EF L 70-200mm f/2.8 lens sitting on a Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer. It’s quite a large crop from a 200mm frame. 25 x 3 min guided subs. Stacked in SiriL and processed in Photoshop. Image taken in Northumberland under Bortle 3 skies.
The Tadpole Nebula and the Flaming Star Nebula captured over three nights of the unexpected nice weather we had a couple of weeks ago.
A number of firsts with this image:
1. My first mosaic - keeping it simple with two panes!
2. First time I left my imaging rig outside... (I used a telegizmo cover) and it was perfect, allowing me to get imaging very quickly on each night
3. First time using powerful scripting tools in my capture software, APT, to move to the second pane and starting imaging automatically...worked really well!
APP was used for pre-processing and stitching the mosaic together, while Pixinsight was used for image processing. A total of 10.9 hours integration time.
Full details on Astrobin
Thanks for looking!