Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

-ChoJin-

my first DSO: NGC 5139

Hello, this is my first DSO, taken while on vacations at the Réunion french Island.

Unfortunately I screwed up the ICC profile while exporting to flickr, so the core has a little less details than what I have in PixInsight. I'll be more careful next time.

- Taken with a Takahashi Epsilon 210mm/628mm on an Astrophysics 900 and a Canon 6D (unmodified)
- Total integration time 10min: 10x60s lights RGB @ ISO 800, 10x60s darks, 11 flats, 10 bias
- Processed with PixInsight

Omega Centauri - NGC 5139 - Cropped

you can see the full frame here (where you have a few faint galaxy, such as NGC 5064, top right, but there are a few others):

Omega Centauri - NGC 5139

• Like 5

Amazing Capture! haven't yet tried to image a globular cluster, looks like it's going to be clear tonight so might give it a go and practice.

Edited by Yamez

Nice images. I like the widefield best.

2 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

Very nice capture ! How long have you have that setup rig (scope and mount) ??

Unfortunately this is not my rig, my grand cousin is directing the Island's astronomical observatory, I therefore had access to all their rigs (including the D=60cm bigass telescope ^^ ) while on vacations. This also had the benefit of having a very good polar alignment already ready for me. From this rig only the camera canon 6D was mine and the (post)processing too :) 

Unfortunately the weather at night wasn't good during my stay and when it was, the moon was full (that night included). that's why I shot this very bright star cluster instead of a nebula.

My current rig is much more modest: it is a newtonian skywatcher quattro 10" f4 (1000mm) telescope with an NEQ6 goto mount and a orion starshoot guider (with the 50mm orion guide scope) but I have yet to use it for any imaging. I'm hoping to do a first astrophoto with it in the next few weeks if the weather and my schedule let me.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the kind words :)

• Like 1

wow, amazing level of detail. Thanks for sharing.

Very stunning.

I have seldomly seen such sharp stars!

It seems that slightly undersampling (if i'm calculating your imaging scale correctly) works wonders for globulars and starfields in terms of crispness or am i misjudging the effect?

Kind regards, Graem

On 8/22/2016 at 08:12, graemlourens said:

Very stunning.

I have seldomly seen such sharp stars!

It seems that slightly undersampling (if i'm calculating your imaging scale correctly) works wonders for globulars and starfields in terms of crispness or am i misjudging the effect?

Kind regards, Graem

The canon 6D has 6.55um pixels, so with the takahashi's focal length of 628mm, the resolution should be 2.15arcsec/pixel

I also did a drizzle 2x2 during processing, which therefore virtually gives me a resolution of 1arcsec/pixel (if I understand the drizzle properly)

but i have no clue what the seeing was that night. When you're saying "undersampling", which target resolution did you have in mind?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rorymultistorey
      So I picked up a classic... a 1970's - 80's edmund optics f6 150mm newtonian...

... like this one but mine has a different mount. It was cheap. Very good condition. The focuser is pants. The mechanics of the secondary holder is (IMHO) brilliant and apparently the primary is 1/10th wave.
      But its f6 and I trhink I'd rather swap it out for a faster synta f5 mirror. .  The thing is its a one shot job bc to make the f5 mirror work I will have to saw off a good few cm from the barrel of the scope.
      So the question is: Is a high quality f6 mirror better than a faster synta f5 mirror for wide deep space astrophotograhy?

All comments gratefully received. 😉 
    • By redhat
      Hello everyone,
      Bit of a backround: I've been a keen stargazer when in my teenage years, then couldn't pursuit my passion, but recently, in my forties, it hit me again, as I moved  and life is good (South facing large garden, obstructed only from the North by our house, but then I just move the scope further and viola!). Started with 90mm refractor, but was always thinking of reflector.
      Long story short, I've got my SkyWatcher Star Discovery 150P GOTO a week ago. Bought it second hand, very good condition, and good mirror. Have got two nights stargazing, cought cold and I AM LOVING IT.
      Now I would like to get me a nice wide angle ep for DSO spotting.
      The scope is 150mm / 750mm f5. I've done some reading obviously, and Explore Scientific 82 degree series have all good reviews and fit within my budget. I can afford only one, and apparently  the best for DSOs is the one that gives 2mm exit pupil. Now, for my scope that would be 10mm piece, and that is not within ES 82 degree range, so it's down to 11mm (2.2mm exit pupil) or 8.8mm (1.76mm exit pupil).
      My question is: which one would be better for my rediscovered passion? I'm gonna be using that ep for faint mostly.
      Thanks to  everyone in advance for any kind advise.

• By ruskclark
      The Wizard Nebula
      An emission nebula 7,200 light years away and my first proper project of the new imaging year. 
      Really happy with it as I’ve had a steep learning curve with new kit so really pleased to see this image come together. It’s also the first time I’ve imaged it. 
      72x180s subs collected over 2 nights 24/25th August in my Bortle 7 back garden, Whitley Bay, England
      Calibrated with darks, flats and dark flats in DSS and processed in SiriL and Photoshop. 
      Lacerta 72mm f/6 APO
      ZWO ASI1600MC Pro at -15C gain 200
      iOptron CEM25p
      ZWO 60mm guide scope
      ZWO ASI120MM-S guide camera
      Altair Astro 2” Tri Band OSC Filter
      Data collected in APT and guided with PHD2

• By jjosefsen
      The Needle in RGB
      A beautiful edge on spiral galaxy in the constellation Coma Berenices, around 38,5 million LY from earth.
      Investigations with the Spitzer IR telescope suggests that the galaxy may actually be a barred spiral galaxy with an inner ring as well.
      --------
      Finally got around to processing my data on NGC 4565 from March.
      This was one of my "test projects" from this year, where I only shot R-G-B and created a synthetic luminance master from those frames.
      I think that the most efficient way is still to shoot pure luminance and then just enough R-G-B to get the color you want. Unless one is imaging star clusters, then I think it is totally fine to skip luminance altogether and get as much color data as possible.
      I will try to do a "super luminance" where I add the R-G-B frames to the luminance stack at some point as well.
      Shot with my Hypercam 183m V2 and totalling aroung 4,2 hours of data.
      More info here: https://www.astrobin.com/412663/B/
      Comments and critique is always welcome.

I decided  to put this post in "Getting started with imaging" as it may be interresting for beginners thinking if luminance is worth it.
    • By eshy76
      Hi everyone - it's been a while! 
      This has been on my hard drive for almost 2 months and I finally got round to processing it...it was quite optimistic of me to try and image this from my Bortle 7-8 back garden, but I gave it a go! While the nebula itself is clear to see, all those gorgeous dust clouds surrounding it were extremely hard for me to capture from my location without a lot more integration time. I think I'll head to dark skies to capture this one next time, along with some more focal length!
      LRGB shot with ASI1600MM Pro and WO Z73. 2.9 hours of integration time.
      Full details here.
      Thanks for looking!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.