Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

Ganymede12

Got into University!

Although I have not been on in a while and haven't had the telescope out in a good while I want to share that I have been accepted into Leicester University for a BSc in Geology. ?

The first thing I'll be doing is joining their Astronomical Society that gives its members access to the Uni's telescopes and hosts observing meets and other activities. Dr. Paul Abel lectures their, which is also a plus. 

Unfortunately I haven't made it to an SGL observing session but I'll be on the forums still, even if you kick me out of the SWVG and I have to join an England based group on the forum! ?

• Like 2

Congratulations and I hope you enjoy the course! :) I'm from Leicester (originally) so if you need any Leicester knowledge, feel free to ask :)

Edited by Chris Lock

Congratulations Anthony ! :thumbsup:

Most of us have had a quiet year in the South Wales Group so don't worry about your membership.  As you know, we are all friendly and haven't tarred & feathered anyone yet, lol.

All the best, and good luck on your new life's adventure.

Congratulations! Leicester was one of my choices to study Astronomy thirty odd years ago. It was a great University then, and I'm sure it's even better now. I'm sure you'll have a ball. :) 

What a nice time to be in in your life ! Enjoy it fully and congratulations!

Congrats. You'll take the opportunity to combine geology with astronomy and confirm which cheese makes up the moon? :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bonnylad said:

Congrats. You'll take the opportunity to combine geology with astronomy and confirm which cheese makes up the moon? :icon_biggrin:

I can already confirm that Earth collided with a small planet called Thea and that the Moon is made from de Brie.  ?

• Like 4

Well done Anthony, excellent news. Hope you enjoy the course, and the whole uni experience!

Congratulations.  Leicester University used to have an observatory that the students used. That was ... cough ... 40 years ago so I don't know whether they still do.  Worth asking.  

I revisited Leicester last year and it struck me it was a nicer city than it was particularly around the centre. Will you be in one of the halls of residence up Manor road?  They are particularly pleasant. 

46 minutes ago, Ganymede12 said:

I can already confirm that Earth collided with a small planet called Thea and that the Moon is made from de Brie.  ?

Groan. Oh dear oh dear!  Cheesy joke. :icon_biggrin:

9 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Groan. Oh dear oh dear!  Cheesy joke. :icon_biggrin:

Anthony is clearly moving on to grater things ;) 

• Like 2

Congrats Anthony :)

Leicester Astro Soc are a smashing group who meet at the National Space Center, and there's quite a few local societies like the one I'm in (East Mids Stargazers) who go out for regular observing sessions. The uni has a new fully equiped obsy with a fabulous Planwave scope on Paramount mount opened in 2009.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/physics/news/news_items/the-university-of-leicester-opens-the-most-advanced-astronomical-teaching-facility-available-at-a-uk-university

If you want to combine astronomy with geology - pop round my place for a session - I have some earth and rocks that need moving lol :)

Well done Ant - congratulations and now even more driving time for your dad on the horizon