Storage and coastal salt

Given that kit and equipment is used in the damp, cold, snow, frost, dew etc., and ventilated garage storage doesn't seem to pose any problem either, has anyone noticed any issues with coastal salt?

I can park up my motor and a week later the discs are bright and shiny. A month later I'll park it up, and within days the discs have a lovely rusty patina to them.

Wondering how salt affects scopes etc.

Cheers

I have several amateur radio friends who live on the Chilean coast, and yes, the salty sea air does have a damaging corrosive effect on equipment left outside long-term - aerials, cable connections etc., as well as equipment left inside in damp, unventilated conditions. I guess it would be similarly damaging to the metal parts of telescopes and mounts, especially in the winter months.

I live about a mile away from the Irish Sea. Airborne salt is a nuisance if nothing else but is only a problem when there is a strong westerly or gale. Our windows are almost opaque after a blow,  particularly with high tides so that waves break against the sea wall throwing huge amounts of spray into the air. 

My old scope was stored indoors in a tightly sealed case so never suffered salt residue. I wouldn't expose expensive optics to the air if sea conditions were unfavourable. I guess corrector plates and objective lenses are at higher risk than primary mirrors hidden at the bottom of a tube. 

So long as things are covered they, ll be fine. Airborne salt usually clings to the first thing it encounters. It ruins that stuff but doesn't make it past simple barriers, like a tarpaulin or a sheet. 

My micro observatory is about 50m from the sea and about 20m above it. We get regular high winds and the salt in the atmosphere makes it difficult to grow anything.

The only thing I have really noticed is that the screws for eyepieces etc which are some sort of low grade metal with a thin chrome finish get lightly rusted but as long as its wiped off regularly with a cloth sprayed with light oil it doesnt seem to get any worse.

If you expose to sea/wind/salt etc too much then it would be a good idea to keep an eye on your coatings. One or two folks have reported this sort of problem using scopes near the coast - one had mirror coatings beginning to lift through over exposure. Hth :)

Archived