SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Timing for 2 star alignment

Sorry if this has been covered before but does the length of time between aligning the first star and  the second star of a "2 Star Alignment"  affect the goto  and tracking accuracy, its just thatsometimes I've been caught out by clouds and had to wait several minutes before I could do the second alignment or should I just start again which can be a bit of a pain if it is likely you will only have a short time to observe before the weather puts an end to it.

I was also wondering if I should switch to a red dot or Telrad style finder to speed things up a bit. I find the 9 x 50 finder can be a bit awkward sometimes but it is probably more accurate for the alignment process.

AFIK the mount takes into consideration the amount of time it takes to set up the second star. If a red dot finder is well aligned it should be accurate enough as the final centering is done with the main telescope eyepiece. 

I started out with the finderscope  that came with my Celestron but found the small FOV a real pain. I switched to a RDF and found that was an improvement, made finding things a lot easier and quicker, but eventually bought a Telrad and love it,  wouldn't now use anything else. It doesn't matter exactly how accurate it is of course for the purpose of star alignment as this will of course be finalised through the eyepiece.

Archived