Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Quatermass

Quatermass says hi

Well its been a long time since I came on here having moved house and done a lot of fishing after I sold all my imaging gear. Just wanted to say hello to those that may remember me and thank you to all of you who kept reading my blog that I left up to help others as most of what I learned came from you all on this forum anyway. Hoping to get back into it all again starting right from scratch again just like I did 5 years ago and yes I will probably still go for another skywatcher 200p and eq5 mount just loved that scope to bits. This is the best forum on the net for stargazers and I am really glad its still going strong. Clear skys everyone. QM ;-)

Triffid Nebula.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bonnylad said:

Welcome, Quatermass. Lovely pic. What kit and settings did you use?

Hi John

I did this one several years's ago with my ed80 and my eq5 mount my camera was a modded cannon 350d and as I had forgotten my bahtinov mask I used a y shaped twig from a  nearby tree to focus with, desperation is the mother of invention. I think it was about 70 2 minute subs with 20 darks flats and bia to stack with. It was one of my favourite images had it made into a canvas picture for my bedroom

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

...used a y shaped twig from a  nearby tree ...

Ah, the old y-shaped twig ploy. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the gen. I'm keen to get into the photography side, but early days yet. Just gathering all the info and experience I can.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Mark! Very good to have you back buddy! :) 

You might remember me as 'starfox'. 

Edited by Chris Lock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Lock said:

Mark! Very good to have you back buddy! :) 

You might remember me as 'starfox'. 

Yes indeed Starfox how are you pal, remember you showing me your cool observatory in ipswich many years ago with you neat set up, Hope live is being good to you.

2 hours ago, Bonnylad said:

Ah, the old y-shaped twig ploy. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the gen. I'm keen to get into the photography side, but early days yet. Just gathering all the info and experience I can.

Cheers.

I did it for 5 years then had a complete break from it for  a year to do other things best hobby ever, I found the photography side of it very enjoyable and challenging to do and it does get  a bit frustrating at times mainly due to all the cloud we get you learn to dodge them and make use of twigs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quatermass said:

Yes indeed Starfox how are you pal, remember you showing me your cool observatory in ipswich many years ago with you neat set up, Hope live is being good to you.

Good thanks, Mark :) Lots of changes since I last saw you - 3 kids instead of just the one for a start (had twin girls 2 years ago) The obsy is no more unfortunately, I chopped through the pier with a massive diamond tipped grinder!! and converted it back to a shed so the house could be rented out. House move like yourself. No real time to image now days which is a real bummer, I occasionally try it though. Sometimes get the chance to look through a scope still thankfully which makes a nice break from the family chaos :) Still on SGL most days, usually whist one or many small people climb all over me (such as now lol).

So you've moved as well hey! what are your new skies like Mark/

Twin girls hey wow my step daughter has got twin boys there great fun . Our place is pretty good for dark skies but I've not done any imaging as I sold all my gear when I moved but I'm getting the bug again shame you had to chop down your observatory I burned mine to the ground when I moved as it was just an d shed really but I don't half miss it like you mate. 

Glad you got the bug again Mark, I think you were so productive first time round that you kind of burnt out on AP. hope this winter yields enough clear skies to get stuck in again. I remembered you'd sold your kit and even knew the guy who bought it all! Chris said you'd given him a thorough tutorial using your setup, he was impressed from what I remember :) I've not seem him on the forum much since though so don't know if he's still using it all?

If you've got dark skies it should be pretty good, no more trips to dark county lanes with the badger noises and only a bahtinov twig for defence ;)

If you let me know what kind of setup you're after I might be able to help you out :) 

That night focusing with a twig was a land mark in my journey still remember being scared witless by the growly hedgehog lol 

Hope that chap I sold it all two made good use of it all took ages to get it all but I've learned so much doing it I'm in a good position to start again. 

I'm thinking of getting another 200p and eq5 mount most of the hard part was learning how to process the data and getting good dark skies.

I'm in no hurry just want to do it again I miss going out under the stars.

• Like 1

I'll keep a look out for any bits that might be handy for you Mark, I'm forever checking numerous second hand places for astronomy kit. If and when I find anything I'll PM you to see if you're interested. I'm sure you'll be doing likewise anyway, but two pairs of eyes and all that :)

Thank you mate that's very kind of you hope you manage to get some clear nights as well and congrats on the twins ;-)

• Like 1

Great to see you back Mark welcome aboard.           Again.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rgrickert
      Hello
      I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion that might help me
      My imaging set up is an RC reflector with an FLI proline 16803 camera and 50mm Astrodon filters (LRGB + 5nm narrow band)
      I have had a string of issues...everything from my mount had mechanical problems to my telescope had issues with the mirror cell to some family distractions...but at long last I seem to have everything working with the exception of the Astrodon Ha filter.
      Attached are representative 30minute subframes of the horse head and Pacman nebulae in Ha, SII, and OIII.  I get similar results with different objects although for bright, broad spectrum targets like M42, I will get data from the Ha filter (much as the stars shine thru on the HH and Pacman) although even that data does not comport with other imager’s Ha images of those objects. The LRGB performance appears to be normal.  My hypothesis is that this Ha filter is defective, perhaps not centered on 656.3nm
      I have contacted Astrodon and exchanged a couple of emails with Cary Chleborad seeking some help.  At first he claimed there was no issue because with enough manipulation some data could be extracted from the Ha. Later, when confronted with the other narrowband frames and the obvious difference to the Ha, at first he ghosted me, but when I said I would ask other imagers for help, he responded with a new position stating that because of the way the filters are made and their robust quality processes, it is impossible for the filter to be defective and therefore something else must be at issue.  He does not offer a suggestion of what might be the problem, nor is he interested in having me send the filter back for evaluation. Frankly, I’m more than disappointed given the premium I paid for Astrodon filters
      All that aside, and taking Cary’s position at face value, does anyone have an idea of what might cause this behavior other than the filter?  In a perfect world, does anyone live in the Austin, Texas area who would be willing to try my filter one night and see what they get with their equipment?
      The attached link is to the raw, uncalibrated files right off the camera.  I think a simple blink process in PixInsight will show what I’m talking about.
      I’m a little at my wits end, please help!
      https://www.dropbox.com/sh/60mvhzb717hdhnl/AACcAMkQdDsJuk1RU10PXvgja?dl=0
    • By MalVeauX
      Hey all,
      I made an acquisition and processing tutorial a while back (3 years ago? Yikes!) and it is fairly dated in terms of what I'm doing these days. I've been asked for a long time to make a new one showing what I'm doing these days. Specifically how I'm processing a single shot image for both the surface and prominences and how to process them together to show prominences and the surface at once. I've abandoned doing split images and composites and strictly work from one image using layers. Acquisition does not use gamma at all anymore. Nothing terribly fancy, but it's not exactly intuitive so hopefully this new video will illustrate most of the fundamentals to get you started. Instead of an hour, this time it's only 18 minutes. It's real time from start to finish. I'm sorry for the long "waiting periods" where I'm just waiting for the software to finish its routine, it lasts 1.5 minutes and 30 seconds tops typically at first. The first 4 minutes is literally just stacking & alignment in AS!3. I typically will go faster than this, but wanted to slow down enough to try to talk through what I'm doing as I do it. Hopefully you can see each action on the screen. I may have made a few mistakes or said a few incorrect things or terms, forgive me for that, this is not my day job. I really hope it helps folk get more into processing as its not difficult or intimidating when you see a simple process with only a few things that are used. The key is good data to begin with and a good exposure value. Today's data came from a 100mm F10 achromatic refractor and an ASI290MM camera with an HA filter. I used FireCapture to acquire the data with a defocused flat frame. No gamma is used. I target anywhere from 65% to 72% histogram fill. That's it! The processing is fast and simple. I have a few presets that I use, but they are all defaults in Photoshop. A lot of the numbers I use for parameters are based on image scale, so keep that in mind, experiment with your own values. The only preset I use that is not a default is my coloring scheme. I color with levels in Photoshop, and my values are Red: 1.6, Green 0.8, Blue 0.2 (these are mid-point values).
      Processing Tutorial Video (18 minutes):
      https://youtu.be/RJvJEoVS0oU
      RAW (.TIF) files available here to practice on (the same images you will see below as RAW TIFs):
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zjeoux7YPZpGjlRGtX6fH7CH2PhB-dzv
      Video for Acquisition, Focus, Flat Calibration and Exposure (20 minutes):
      (Please let me know if any links do not work)
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Results from today using this work flow method.
      Colored:

B&W:

SSM data (sampled during 1.5~2 arc-second seeing conditions):

Equipment for today:
      100mm F10 Frac (Omni XLT 120mm F8.3 masked to 4")
      Baader Red CCD-IR Block Filter (ERF)
      PST etalon + BF10mm
      ASI290MM
      SSM (for fun, no automation)

Very best,

• By jadcx
      Skywatcher 80 ED DS-Pro outfit including matched flattener and motor focus. Now only £350
      This kit gives you a great introduction to astronomy and imaging, which is why it's so popular.  You can see details over at FLO but there is:
      80 ED Ds-Pro OTA (Objective Lens Diameter: 80mm, Telescope Focal Length: 600mm,  f/7.5)
      SW Eyepiece (2"): 28mm
      2”/50.8mm Di-Electric Star Diagonal
      9x50 Finderscope
      Dual-Speed 11:1 2” Crayford Focuser (Backlash-Free)
      Supplied with Tube Rings & Mounting Plate - please note there is a longer black vixen type dovetail fitted, not the fancy new green short one you will see on the FLO site
      SW motor focus and fitting kit - I've never used this, hence it's not fitted (more details over on FLO)
      Dedicated SW 0.85x reducer/flattener (see FLO for more details)
      Aluminium Carrying / Shipping Case

The RRP is over £720, so grab a bargain while you can.
      Collection from Nottingham, or DHL for £20 (within UK)

• By Waynescave
      Hi guys
      Can anyone identify which control box this is? Is it focusmaster? And does it run off robofocus driver in Indi lib as I cannot get a successful connection (in indi within ekos) 
      I bought a robofocus motor with this control box second hand. 
      I have faith with seller that hardware works as should. 
      I've tried other cables and USB ports too. The software (k stars) I use does do port search when connecting equipment.. 

Any help appreciated 
      Wayne

• By Mandy D
      I've just bought a Daystar Solar Scout 60mm DS for H-alpha imaging of the Sun. I am now looking for a suitable camera to use with it. I know I could use my DSLR, but for H-alpha that is not going to give best results, so am looking for a dedicated monochrome imaging camera. I have identified the ZWO ASI178MM as a possibility that fits my budget and has a large enough (I think) sensor to image the entire Solar disc if I use a 0.5 focal reducer which will give me a total focal length of 465 mm.
      Does anyone have any experience of this camera in this application, or know if it will be suitable? I know it does not have an IR blocking filter, which I understand is an advantage for H-alpha. The spec is available here:
      https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/zwo-asi178mm-usb-30-monochrome-cmos-camera.html
      Thanks
      Mandy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.