Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quatermass says hi

Quatermass

Well its been a long time since I came on here having moved house and done a lot of fishing after I sold all my imaging gear. Just wanted to say hello to those that may remember me and thank you to all of you who kept reading my blog that I left up to help others as most of what I learned came from you all on this forum anyway. Hoping to get back into it all again starting right from scratch again just like I did 5 years ago and yes I will probably still go for another skywatcher 200p and eq5 mount just loved that scope to bits. This is the best forum on the net for stargazers and I am really glad its still going strong. Clear skys everyone. QM ;-)

Triffid Nebula.jpg

4 minutes ago, Bonnylad said:

Welcome, Quatermass. Lovely pic. What kit and settings did you use?

Hi John

I did this one several years's ago with my ed80 and my eq5 mount my camera was a modded cannon 350d and as I had forgotten my bahtinov mask I used a y shaped twig from a  nearby tree to focus with, desperation is the mother of invention. I think it was about 70 2 minute subs with 20 darks flats and bia to stack with. It was one of my favourite images had it made into a canvas picture for my bedroom

3 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

...used a y shaped twig from a  nearby tree ...

Ah, the old y-shaped twig ploy. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the gen. I'm keen to get into the photography side, but early days yet. Just gathering all the info and experience I can.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Chris Lock said:

Mark! Very good to have you back buddy! :) 

You might remember me as 'starfox'. 

Yes indeed Starfox how are you pal, remember you showing me your cool observatory in ipswich many years ago with you neat set up, Hope live is being good to you.

2 hours ago, Bonnylad said:

Ah, the old y-shaped twig ploy. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the gen. I'm keen to get into the photography side, but early days yet. Just gathering all the info and experience I can.

Cheers.

I did it for 5 years then had a complete break from it for  a year to do other things best hobby ever, I found the photography side of it very enjoyable and challenging to do and it does get  a bit frustrating at times mainly due to all the cloud we get you learn to dodge them and make use of twigs.

1 hour ago, Quatermass said:

Yes indeed Starfox how are you pal, remember you showing me your cool observatory in ipswich many years ago with you neat set up, Hope live is being good to you.

Good thanks, Mark :) Lots of changes since I last saw you - 3 kids instead of just the one for a start (had twin girls 2 years ago) The obsy is no more unfortunately, I chopped through the pier with a massive diamond tipped grinder!! and converted it back to a shed so the house could be rented out. House move like yourself. No real time to image now days which is a real bummer, I occasionally try it though. Sometimes get the chance to look through a scope still thankfully which makes a nice break from the family chaos :) Still on SGL most days, usually whist one or many small people climb all over me (such as now lol).

So you've moved as well hey! what are your new skies like Mark/

Twin girls hey wow my step daughter has got twin boys there great fun . Our place is pretty good for dark skies but I've not done any imaging as I sold all my gear when I moved but I'm getting the bug again shame you had to chop down your observatory I burned mine to the ground when I moved as it was just an d shed really but I don't half miss it like you mate. 

Glad you got the bug again Mark, I think you were so productive first time round that you kind of burnt out on AP. hope this winter yields enough clear skies to get stuck in again. I remembered you'd sold your kit and even knew the guy who bought it all! Chris said you'd given him a thorough tutorial using your setup, he was impressed from what I remember :) I've not seem him on the forum much since though so don't know if he's still using it all?

If you've got dark skies it should be pretty good, no more trips to dark county lanes with the badger noises and only a bahtinov twig for defence ;)

If you let me know what kind of setup you're after I might be able to help you out :) 

That night focusing with a twig was a land mark in my journey still remember being scared witless by the growly hedgehog lol 

Hope that chap I sold it all two made good use of it all took ages to get it all but I've learned so much doing it I'm in a good position to start again. 

I'm thinking of getting another 200p and eq5 mount most of the hard part was learning how to process the data and getting good dark skies.

I'm in no hurry just want to do it again I miss going out under the stars.

I'll keep a look out for any bits that might be handy for you Mark, I'm forever checking numerous second hand places for astronomy kit. If and when I find anything I'll PM you to see if you're interested. I'm sure you'll be doing likewise anyway, but two pairs of eyes and all that :)

Archived