SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What to see this time of year

Hi All, Just got the new 200p Skywatcher Dob and now it's all set up can anyone tell me what i may be able to see this time of year, Venus & Jupiter are gone before dark(in the UK) and Mars & Saturn are a lot less brighter than they was a few weeks ago, Orion is nowhere to be seen so no nebular to find :-( Help !!!

Thanks all

You can spend most of the night looking in the Sagittarius/Scorpius area.  Sagittarius has so many globular clusters to see; including several Messier globulars with M22 being my favorite globular cluster.  Don't be afraid and throw some magnification at these globular clusters. You also have several other Messier objects like M20, the Trifid Nebula, M8, the Lagoon Nebula.  Without a filter these are wonderful targets to see.  However, with an OIII or UHC filter they should pop out in your scope.  Other Messiers to see in Sagittarius are M16, the Eagle Nebula and M17, the Swan Nebula.  There are also Messier open clusters to see like M25, M23, M21, M18. 

In Scorpius you have more Messier stuff like the globulars M4 and M80.  You have bright open clusters like M6 and M7.  These may look better in your finder scope.

Thanks everyone, i have been doing a bit of research and taking notes on where to find Andromeda and Orion nebula but will now hunt down the ones mentioned above, looks like could be a clear one tonight so may take a peek. 

Thanks again your all so helpful

Steve

Had an hour and suitably impressed with my 1st sighting of Saturn, great to see it in the flesh and my 11 year old son could not believe what he was seeing lol. Happy Days!

Forgot to say i also had a couple of meteors wizz across the view as i was looking around :-)

1 hour ago, noeliam said:

Had an hour and suitably impressed with my 1st sighting of Saturn, great to see it in the flesh and my 11 year old son could not believe what he was seeing lol. Happy Days!

Start them young :) I like it !

Has anyone mentioned the Globular Cluster M15, not far from the nose of the horse aka Pegasus, best when the moon has moved out of the way. For good measure the asteroid Pallas is nearby, just to the south of M15, but that just looks like any other star so you will need a good chart to identify it. Or, better, sketch the the area and then come back in a few days and see which one moved :)

• 3 weeks later...

now is the time to pull an all-nighter. not too cold and if you wait until the dawn you can catch orion. in the meantime, plenty to observe as perseus, cassiopea and andromeda rise, plus all the summer goodies in the cygnus are and around.

Archived