SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS forum 2

mapstar

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, rockystar said:

it looked glorious when I let the cat in and the dogs out at 12:15 last night, not a cloud in the sky and looked really still & transparent after all that rain. It was far too late to get the scope out, so had 15 mins or so with the bins. Scooted up through perseus, is it merphak the bright star there? Loads of stars in the area, lovely to take in through the binocular. Up to the double cluster, over to Andromeda and then through cygnus and the milky way.

Mirfak yep red giant. Algol to the south east and just west of that the perseus cluster of about 20 galaxies. Brilliant 

3 minutes ago, mapstar said:

:eek: Just realised someone's hacked my account and knows a bit about the stars!!!!! 

Don't start back peddling now Mr - we have got you sussed ;)

Honestly, look at those clouds again today! Next clear night I'm going out regardless of whether I've got work or not the next day. Kelling Heath is only 3 weeks away and I need to know my gear is all ready and working ok :)

Good idea Mark, however Ryan has done an amazing job and fixed the tripod that Kieran gave me with the Star Adventurer. It is exactly the same tripod anyway as his came off a CG3 mount also. Ryan made some metal bars to replace the plastic ones on the tripod spreader as its really strong now. Thank you for the suggestion though. It was a great idea :)

Just now, Mark62 said:

I might just get if for mine then lol. 

Are the legs fixed open or can you close the ones on yours ? 

Erm, no, the legs are not fixed open lol. You can close them up. It doesn't have a spreader tray, although I don't have one on my Star Adventurer tripod either. You can always take it to try out and see how you go with it. It's a lightweight tripod though. It needs a weight hanging off the bottom of it to give it a bit of extra weight. The plastic "spreader" moves on the legs a little but you might be able to tighten it up. Pick it up and have a go with it if you like. If it's not suitable just pass it back. I'm wanting to clear a space more than anything :)

3 minutes ago, Mark62 said:

If someone says they want it let it go I don't want you waiting for me. 

I have a busy week so don't have chance to get to yours this week. If you still have it at the weekend I will pop over if that's ok ?

Sounds like a plan Mark :)

1 hour ago, Vicky050373 said:

Don't start back peddling now Mr - we have got you sussed ;)

Honestly, look at those clouds again today! Next clear night I'm going out regardless of whether I've got work or not the next day. Kelling Heath is only 3 weeks away and I need to know my gear is all ready and working ok :)

Don't worry Vic your gear will work fine. I've also got to check my scope too. Its still there phew! 

12 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Don't worry Vic your gear will work fine. I've also got to check my scope too. Its still there phew! 

Have you got your mirror all sorted and ready now then? It's going to be amazing! Bet you can't wait to get it out under a dark sky.

I've not tried my NEQ6 since I did the wedge upgrade. Not entirely convinced on how it works. Just want to make sure it doesn't slip once the weight of the scope and cameras etc is on it. I'm sure it'll be fine but I just want to give it a test run before Kelling :)

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

Mirfak yep red giant. Algol to the south east and just west of that the perseus cluster of about 20 galaxies. Brilliant 

I'll have to check that out next time i'm at Winscar (or down as SGL XII) - how many of them do you reckon i'll be able to see with my scope? Starting to think it's nearly time to upgrade to a 14" ;) :D :help:

Archived