SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS forum 2

mapstar

Why did we have to get into a hobby that is totally dependent on the weather? I hate being dictated to by it!

It looks nice and clear outside, but can't make Winscar tonight as the missus has gone out, I might consider the garden for an hour see if I can find Neptune. Though the other night i was getting annoyed both by how light the sky was and the neighbour's security light, which seems to be new!

( and is there any way to turn the forum's spell check into English-English rather than US-english? i like"U"s in my words) 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dec said:

Hi all,

sorry this is my first post on SGL

Was up seeing Peter at the Astronomy Centre a few months ago and he recommended I contact you guys. 

I've been on the steep learning curve that is stargazing/imaging for about 9 months and really interested in learning a bit more. 

I live in Wakefield so would like to join WADAS if membership is still open.

Thanks

Welcome to the club/forum Dec :) 

We have a website at http://www.wakefieldastronomysociety.co.uk/  (New site on the way hopefully) and also our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/WADASOSD/

Both are kept upto date with meeting and events dates. Our next meeting is next Thursday at 7:30pm at Horbury academy, so it will be great to see you there. 

Chris

31 minutes ago, astrotyke said:

Amber alert now for the Aurora. Might be worth staying out tonight if its clear.

Looks like current Aurora activity on Cliffcam 3 at 60 North Shetland org - Sumburgh Head - Lerwick.

Thanks for heads up.

1 minute ago, Hawksmoor said:

Looks like current Aurora activity on Cliffcam 3 at 60 North Shetland org - Sumburgh Head - Lerwick.

Thanks for heads up.

I can see a bit of green on the Cam, its a poor picture but I guess thats the Aurora 

Me and Eric @2STAR are on it like a car bonnet. Eric is playing with his Atik Infinity getting plenty of images on his screen. I am having a go with my new portable set up. Got it PA'd and lined up perfectly and running the mount through Stellarium and viewing Uranus right now. Feels good to be out doing some viewing :)

IMG_20160903_001844.jpg

Weather forecasts for tonight are looking a bit funky, so think I'll stay in with a bottle of wine!

Last night was great though, spent a couple of hours with girl_child looking at globs. Her favourite of the night was the wild duck cluster.

Pleased to hear you got out Nick. The sky wasn't too bad for a couple of hours, but those clouds suddenly blotted out the sky and by 1.30am it was 100% cloud cover! Your Violet has good taste as The Wild Duck Cluster is lovely. Think it's a night in for me too as I'm feeling the lack of sleep although it was great to get out for a couple of hours and have some quality time at the eyepiece :)

23 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

We've just had a Chinese flown in, so I'm not sure what I'm doing yet. To be honest it'll probably be too late for me to start getting loaded up for going down to Winscar tonight. I'll more than likely have an hour in the back yard unless that security light is back on again! 

Vicky, not 100% certain but I think judging by the position of Uranus last night and the stars in that locality I had on screen those two Galaxies we could just make out on the screen were  NGC 532 Mag 13.50 & NGC 518 Mag 14.40

eric

Sorry D, Eric messaged me around 9pm to say I could pop round to his if the dreaded security light was on. I didn't fancy trailing out far and I didn't think anyone else was heading out. We had a good couple of hours until the blanket cloud rolled in. Shame the weather is so bad this evening. Would have been good to have gone out again.

Great job finding those galaxies Eric. They were very small and feint. I'll have to check them out on Stellarium next time I've got the laptop fired up :)

8 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

Sorry D, Eric messaged me around 9pm to say I could pop round to his if the dreaded security light was on. I didn't fancy trailing out far and I didn't think anyone else was heading out. We had a good couple of hours until the blanket cloud rolled in. Shame the weather is so bad this evening. Would have been good to have gone out again.

Great job finding those galaxies Eric. They were very small and feint. I'll have to check them out on Stellarium next time I've got the laptop fired up :)

M82 Cigar Galaxy from last night Vicky, just read that in 2010 Scientists at Jodrell Bank reported an unknown object in M82 sending out Radio Waves,  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1234.jpg

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

Vicky and Eric 

When was this little patio session arranged? Looks like you both enjoyed being out 

11th hour job Damian, I wanted to go to Winscar but nobody posted an interest last night and it got to 9pm so decided to stay at home.

13 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

Excellent image Eric. Knew it'd come out well. Nice one. Not read about those radio waves. I'll have to look that one up :)

yea i seem to remeber that, im not sure they ever found out what it was. they said it wasnt a supernova and also that it seems to be moving. thats all i remember about it

8 hours ago, 2STAR said:

11th hour job Damian, I wanted to go to Winscar but nobody posted an interest last night and it got to 9pm so decided to stay at home.

Yeah to be honest I'd not been watching the weather but missed a golden opportunity by the looks of the rest of this weekends weather offerings

it looked glorious when I let the cat in and the dogs out at 12:15 last night, not a cloud in the sky and looked really still & transparent after all that rain. It was far too late to get the scope out, so had 15 mins or so with the bins. Scooted up through perseus, is it merphak the bright star there? Loads of stars in the area, lovely to take in through the binocular. Up to the double cluster, over to Andromeda and then through cygnus and the milky way.

Archived