Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS forum 2

mapstar

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

I have set up although lots of high cloud and some darker cloud looking NW, will go out at 10pm and make a decision

Been out, 10pm not too good, the big players for alignment  Capella, Vega, Altair, Polaris & Arcturus are showing up, but way too much thin high cloud to make staying out a profitable night with the Atik . so going to do some visual for an hour  or so.

eric

We got home last night after a thoroughly enjoyable albeit tiring camping weekend at Cannock Chase, Staffordshire. Had the scope out for a couple of hours on Friday night and showed our friends some of the wonders of the night sky. They were blown away by Saturn, even though it was tiny in the little 80mm f6.5 frac. Couldn't see any of the moons, but the rings were really clear. Showed them M31, NGC869 & NGC884 the double  cluster, M45 The Pleiades, M81 & M82 (feint but awesome showing people 2 galaxies in one view), Albireo and a few others I can't recall now. Struggled a bit as I didn't have a finder lol. There is a massive amount of LP in that area with Birmingham making the sky to the south look like dawn all night, and Manchester and Sheffield to the north washing out the sky that way. Couldn't find M51 despite the clear sky. Think it was just too bright! Had to keep my targets around the Cassiopeia and Cygnus areas to have any chance of finding them. However, I still enjoyed my little holiday scope session, and it's always good to have time at the eyepiece. One of our friend's daughters is 12 and really interested in astronomy. She was fascinated and had never seen anything through a scope before. I even managed to show her a few little sunspots the following morning using the white light filter. 

There was a lot of high cloud around last night, plus the dreaded security light was back on! Need to pop round later and see what's going on there. Needless to say I didn't get any viewing done. I'll keep an eye on here if anyone is heading out tonight. Not at work until the afternoon tomorrow, so I may pop along if anyone else is out :) 

6 hours ago, mapstar said:

I will keep an eye on the weather and post later. Will check what its like this aft when I'm out that way on the MTB later

Most forecasts look ok  for tonight 30/08/16 bit of cloud, 1% Moonlight, if you can believe them !!!!! Clear outside/MetOffice/BBC/Southyorks all saying similiar

Eric

45 minutes ago, astrotyke said:

Yea. Looks like a clear night tonight from all the forecasts that I can see.

I will be going tonight if anyone else is, will probably get there before dark for a change also to set up.

eric

1 hour ago, 2STAR said:

Are you venturing out to Winscar Damian

Hi Eric sorry for the late reply.

Looks like the clouds have come in and its not too good up that way or where I am which isnt too far away from Chris? 

If you've decided to venture up I will have a ride out (actually another up there in the car this time).

Let me know wonder how tomorrow looks? 

17 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Hi Eric sorry for the late reply.

Looks like the clouds have come in and its not too good up that way or where I am which isnt too far away from Chris? 

If you've decided to venture up I will have a ride out (actually another up there in the car this time).

Let me know wonder how tomorrow looks? 

Ok Damian, not going now as the clouds are rolling in ha ha , but thanks anyway, always next time

eric

Nicely done Vicky. Always good to show case the sky to newbies. 

Clear skies here in SA just had a quick 5 mins outside before dinner with the Canon also up very early for a safari so will miss the clear night but this is my patio view this eveningFile_000.jpeg

transfered from the camera card to the iPad, and a slight adjustment with generic iPad editing, so it's not PS quality by a long way Vicky, can't wait to get home to cloudy skies so I can play with the levels properly! ;p

So, I have received an email from Salford AS asking of I can give then one of my talks???? OK, think you might have the wrong person there hehe. I could give them a talk on spending money on astro gear, no problem! :)

"I am currently putting together this year’s syllabus of talks for our local astronomy society. I noticed you have spoken to other local groups and wondered if you could do something on them lines for us? We can offer you travelling expenses to cover your costs"

Archived