WADAS forum 2

mapstar

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

What time Damian, Clear outside has it ok for around 23:00hrs for a while

eric

Got to admit Eric I dont trust clear outside. Still at Carlisle at the present and probably home for around 8pm. 

32 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Got to admit Eric I dont trust clear outside. Still at Carlisle at the present and probably home for around 8pm. 

I have looked at 2 others and says light cloud, so won't risk it tonight Damian

Yes, it's looking good for Sunday night. Will hopefully get to have first light with this beauty, my new Skywatcher Quattro 8" (Carbon Fibre tube) with Moonlite focuser and my ST80 mounted on top. Tested my belt modded EQ6 indoors, it still works - but proof will be in the GoTo accuracy and PHD guiding graphs...

Quattro200CF_ST80.jpg

13 hours ago, MattGoo said:

Yes, it's looking good for Sunday night. Will hopefully get to have first light with this beauty, my new Skywatcher Quattro 8" (Carbon Fibre tube) with Moonlite focuser and my ST80 mounted on top. Tested my belt modded EQ6 indoors, it still works - but proof will be in the GoTo accuracy and PHD guiding graphs...

Quattro200CF_ST80.jpg

Looks very impressive Matt

So, just thought I would check the weather forecast, did a search on Five sites, only two showed similar  forecast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, so its back to just sticking the head out of the back door again!!!!!

2 hours ago, 2STAR said:

So, just thought I would check the weather forecast, did a search on Five sites, only two showed similar  forecast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, so its back to just sticking the head out of the back door again!!!!!

Some times that's the only thing that's the only reliable way 

I set up early last night, initially tested the EQ6 but still some play in both axis - so then tried to re-tweak the EQ6 worm gears in the dark - could probably do with bringing it back indoors for another go. Mounted the Quattro/ST80/FilterWheel/314L+ and found that all those weigh more than 2x 5kg counterweights, so balanced as best I could. Used Sharpcap v2.9 for Polar Alignment and the new EQ6 wedge made it really easy and I was able to get it closer than I've ever done before according to the software. Fired up PHD2 and was pleasantly surprised at a decent flat(ish) graph, certainly better than what I could previously achieve. Capped the scopes and turned everything off to go inside for tea and put my daughter to bed.

Came back outside to a layer of ice all over the equipment so turned on the dew bands and started everything back up. Focused the Quattro with a Bahtinov mask and started to take a few random images. Checking these revealed some squiffy stars and it looked like the same curvature issue that Ryan had experienced with his Quattro recently - which was a secondary collimation problem. I'd initially checked the Quattro with my laser and tweaked accordingly, but it probably needs a session with the Cheshire. Therefore decided it wasn't worth staying out so packed up.

Positives:
Quattro is able to reach focus ok with the SX Filter Wheel & Atik 314L+
EQ6 Belt Mod looks to have improved guiding
EQ6 Wedge makes polar alignment adjustment much easier
SharpCap Polar Alignment feature is great

Learning Outcomes:
Need to purchase another 5kg counterweight or swap out the ST80 for something like the QHYCCD Mini Guidescope to reduce weight
Quattro needs collimating properly
EQ6 needs further tuning
Possibly need to add my 0.9x Coma Corrector into the imaging set up

36 minutes ago, Mark62 said:

Really encouraging night then Matt. Just a couple of minor tweaks and you should be running ok. 

I'm sure you will produce some stunning  images 

Looking good Mark when sorted, it was freezing here as well ,and everything iced up but the dew prevention did a good job, I checked my alignment and tracking was ok then went inside but not for a cup of tea, here are 2 images taken whlie sat at the dining room table, I had a rare brainwave and threaded the camera cable via the window to the laptop, so here are my 2 Electric Assisted Astronomy firsts from indoors ha ha . in my excitement I forgot to video record so maybe they would be better after running through a software programme, 

FLAME1.JPG

ORION 511.JPG

52 minutes ago, MattGoo said:

Nice images Eric.

If the laptop is outside but still connected to your WiFi, then leave it there and you can go indoors and use a mobile/tablet with an app like Teamviewer (free) to control it remotely.

Yes cheers Matt, I can control the evolution with a tablet (my ipad) remotely, but I dont find it as easy to use the touch control as with the handset, last night due to my tracking being good for a change I just left the handset on the mount, I am limited with my view from the top patio  so as soon as Orion got a bit high I lost sight of it, just an idea for last night to be honest, I will be better off as usual on the bottom Patio as then I can see South/South West also, there was a lot of moisture in the air last night also which didn;t make the viewing all that decent.

Archived