SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS forum 2

mapstar

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 19:39, Vicky050373 said:

@Marci wow! Can't believe you've got things sorted so quickly. I hope it enables you to get your scope modded. I will follow your thread with interest. I'm not sure if the lad who gave me the scope was even the first owner. He was a strange one, so goodness knows what he did with the scope. At least some of it was useful to you.

@2STAR by heck Eric, you're getting a bit good at this imaging malarkey! I've never seen M42 looking so huge!!! Is that just a single exposure? Great detail and colours there. I like it. I like it a lot :)

I got out for a while last night, and had a scout about visually for a while. However, early in the evening there was a lot of haze around and the sky was very washed out and orange over my way. Couldn't see many of the feinter objects. Had a go with the DSLR on M45 but the images weren't worth spending time processing and they've been relegated to the recycling bin. A total wash out. Decided to try to find galaxy NGC891 again which myself and Damian had viewed last time we were out at Winscar. Couldn't see it in the Equinox 80, although I knew I was bang in the right place. That thing is just too feint and small for an 80mm frac in light polluted skies. Not giving in, plus it wasn't even 8pm and the sky was looking better, I decided to get out the Atik CCD for a go at this little galaxy. Popped in the CCD, managed to eventually get focus and there it was on the chip! Yay! The guding was running very well, so I set it running to see what I could get. Here's my result which I am going to dedicate to Damian as he introduced me to this gorgeous little galaxy (which I still haven't managed to view though my own scope):

NGC891(C23) 28.11.2016
Using Atik 16IC-S monochrome CCD camera on Skywatcher Equinox 80 ED on HEQ5 Pro SynScan mount
A total of 5 x 5 minute and 9 x 10 minute light frames - no filters used
Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker and processed in Photoshop Elements 11
NGC891 (C23) is an edge-on unbarred spiral galaxy in the constellation of Andromeda, and is estimated to be at a distance of 31 million light years.
it is a massive galaxy measuring about 110,000 light years in diameter and has a mass of about 150 billion suns. This beautiful galaxy is seen almost perfectly from it's side from our perspective.

NGC891 28.11.2016.jpg

HEQ5??????? When did that appear???

Nice image by the way

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Good luck for tonight guys hope all goes well.

Still a sea of clouds up here but stopping on till tomorrow at the very least hoping the weather will hive a break :icon_biggrin:

Thanks Damian hope you get a break in the clouds soon

10 hours ago, mapstar said:

HEQ5??????? When did that appear???

I think she’s building up her own rental fleet...

On 30/11/2016 at 11:19, MattGoo said:

Also, I'm now about halfway through fitting the Rowan Astronomy EQ6 Belt Mod kit - I hope it all goes back together!

Matt - superbly useful pix, nicely timed... ta muchly!! I must find a proper full exploded parts diagram for an EQ6 head #diymountideas 

8 hours ago, astrotyke said:

Well all these astro pics are nice etc, yea very good but tonight I had the pleasure of receiving an award that actually acknowledges the high quality content of my posts :) after winning the most posts last year lol

1480635075020-100355228.jpg

I seem to remember you cam second ?????

Super night last night. Chris was his usual charming, informative, interesting and funny self. Thanks Chris for a superb talk and thank you to all the WADAS members and visitors for making it a really good night. 

See not a bit of chees any where 

23 minutes ago, rockystar said:

cracking night, great to meet Chris, what a thoroughly nice chap.

now that I'm an official and fully paid up member, can I make a couple of recommendations to your (our) website?

I certainly am a nice chap, your not wrong there, least I presume it was me you meant......... :)

Chris 

4 hours ago, rockystar said:

cracking night, great to meet Chris, what a thoroughly nice chap.

now that I'm an official and fully paid up member, can I make a couple of recommendations to your (our) website?

Yea, always open to suggestions for the websites future.  drop me a pm on here if you like 

3 hours ago, gtis said:

Really enjoyed last night and not over my head like some speakers 

and won a bottle of plonk as well

pity it wasn't a book

Nice to see two of us WADAS members winning the book which Chris signed for us, ( you can borrow it when I have read it Vicky as I know you like your read) smashing bloke with a great presentation manner and his knowledge was obvious to all,  he pointed out a couple of errors in the book  and marked the page as such. My ex work colleague has been interested in the last few month and has a good basic knowledge of things in the Cosmos, so I am hoping he may join us one night at Winscar or someplace.

eric 

@rockystar @astrotyke I was going to bring up the website topic myself in the not too distant - was going to query how it’s currently hosted and whether you guys’d be up for a complete overhaul? See what we can do to make cross-promotion to social media nice n’ simple etc. Also regular filming of talks if the talker doesn’t object for members only access after-the-fact (via website)...

Is it worth proposing a sub-committee of sorts for those of us of that persuasion amongst us to come up with a proposal for agm? (@Soupy - guidance on process without stomping in with my size 13s appreciated, although I think I may have just done that...)

Looks like there's an hour or two if clear skies forecast there around midnight a cording to clear outside, other forecasts have it down as cloudy. don't think I'll be up there tonight.  need an early night tonight after falling asleep last night stood up and falling over hahah. some beer my have been consumed, luckily only just got a bruised shoulder :)

Archived